Chinese-Forums

How to change assigned accommodation with scholarship?

smilingdodo

On 6/18/2018 at 5:14 AM, smilingdodo said:

I am going to study Mandarin at a Chinese university. I won a Confucius scholarship and was assigned a shared room. Can I change to a single room? If yes, how? Thanks in advance!

You need to read their Dormitory rulebook. You can find it on their official website. Many universities don't allow scholarship students to stay outside and many do. It also depends upon your master, PhD status etc. Some universities do give living out accommodation and some don't (if you want to stay outside you can but no room accommodation money will be provided). In your case, best is contact the dormitory management and ask if they give living out accommodation or not. For an example, A master student under CSC gets 700 RMB and PhD student gets 1000 RMB living outside accommodation (if university approves)

Thank you Ampicillin for your reply! I mean I was allocated a double room with shared bathroom in one of the dorms of BNU. But I would like to live in a different dorm at BNU that provides single en-suite rooms (they are obviously more expensive). Can I do that?

I studied in BNU on a CSC Scholarship back in 2011, and yes you can change rooms or transfer dorm buildings --- provided that there are still free rooms available. Just go to the reception desk of dorm and tell them you want to transfer. But the room rate may be more expensive so you just pay the difference. But I think nowadays, the rule is that you will forfeit your dorm subsidy if you do this and you must pay full price.