Chinese-Forums

Site language policy

dtcamero

20 hours ago, Lu said:

Hi @龙行天下, thanks for your reply. Next time, could you perhaps write in English? Many of our members are not very good at Chinese yet.

is it actually the policy of this board that every reply must be written in english? i appreciate that OP deserves an explanation in english, of which there were several. but having a reply in native chinese is also a valuable resource (for others if not only for OP)...

also demarcating the board as an english-only zone seems a bit authoritarian not to mention counter to the original intention as a place to learn this language that we're saying shouldn't be written here.

my two mao ✌️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dtcamero said:

also demarcating the board as an english-only zone seems a bit authoritarian not to mention counter to the original intention as a place to learn this language that we're saying shouldn't be written here.

Note also that it's not an English *only* zone and neither is it forbidden to write Chinese.  The rules don't state that, and Lu's post didn't either.

• Like 1

Split this off as I wanted to add my own two pennies worth. 

There's a long-standing policy that posts should be accessible to people who can't read Chinese. That doesn't mean everything has to be in English all the time, but I see little value in an entry-level student getting a reply in native-level Chinese. In those cases we'd request further posts are made in English. I don't think we're authoritarian about it - Lu's request seems perfectly friendly to me, nobody got banned, and there's plenty of leeway - a similar post by a regular member we know usually posts in English might not have been commented upon (on occasion I've just provided my own translation). This was a new member who understandably might not know how we work.

I think of it as "about Chinese, in English."

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1