Chinese-Forums

One to One Teaching Beijing?

tomovhell

Hi all

I've been offered a place at RUC and was told it's very easy to pick up extra cash by teaching English one to one. 
I assume this is mainly professionals as my friend who has lived in China said that my native English background and professional background (law) will be very popular?

I have 2.5 questions - what's the average payment rate for this sort of work
and - does this require permission from my university (X1 VISA)/if I don't have permission or don't ask am I likely to get deported?

See this thread. 

Short answer; yes, you should get permission from your school 100%. Pay depends on experience and appearance mostly. Probably around 200-400 for a student. 

As for your own students, more likely to depend on how you find them and your personal preference. If you’re at the University, perhaps they mean Chinese students will likely pay you to tutor/coach them. Otherwise, some people use tutoring companies that link teachers and students then take a cut. In this case could be any type. 

Personally, I never found it that easy to magically find students as a student in China. It was always easier for those teaching at Universities or schools. I used a company who took a fee as I couldn’t see any other way at the time (back in 2012)

• Like 1

I don't know if student visas get deported or just fined.

A student visa doesn't allow employment, it allows part time internships related to your major.  Teaching private students isn't on the list.  Anyway, these days it's harder and harder with the advent of online teachers.  Why pay someone 400 an hour when there are loads of people in Serbia and Brazil eager to do the job for 60 an hour?  

2 hours ago, vellocet said:

Why pay someone 400 an hour when there are loads of people in Serbia and Brazil eager to do the job for 60 an hour?  

Ostentatious displays of wealth.

Why pay 60/h for someone online in Serbia or Brazil, when you can pay 400/h to have an English lawyer be your personal English tutor, and then brag about it to all your friends.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vellocet said:

I don't know if student visas get deported or just fined.

A student visa doesn't allow employment, it allows part time internships related to your major.

Not sure if this is what is supposed to happen or if it’s changed but currently you can get permission from at least a couple of the big Uni’s for just “working” on a student visa. At least here in Beijing it’s fine. I have two friends who just left work to study but will part time teach. Unrelated to their studies. 

4 hours ago, imron said:

Ostentatious displays of wealth.

Why pay 60/h for someone online in Serbia or Brazil, when you can pay 400/h to have an English lawyer

And 400 isn’t honestly a lot. The OP is just someone with no experience who happens to be the right nationality and have a nice background (lawyer). I’d say more likely they’d get the lower end.

It’s not unheard of for a tutor to make 1000+ An hour if they’re a qualified teacher from an international school.