Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
airborne3

Please, help me to translate and transliterate these 3 charachters.

airborne3

Please, help me to translate and transliterate these 3 characters.

These 3 characters are stamped on a time measuring device that was supposedly used by the Chinese Air Force.
The time frame - late 1940s-early 1950s.

I was able to find only transliteration of the middle character (空, Kōng) which Google translates as 'air'.

Please, try to translate and transliterate these 3 characters as accurately as possible, and also, if you would have any insight as to where such words might be used (People's Liberation Army Air Force, etc.), you are more than welcomed to share - I tried to search Wikipedia and other sources but I do not know Chinese or other Asian characters (I assume that in Korean 'air' would look similar),
and visually I cannot match any characters from the Wikipedia because they look different, and I do not know how they are formed and what forms they might take.

Maybe searching the net by a native speaker, using these 3 characters, might produce result showing other items similar to the watch that I have.

Thank you all in advance.

signed.jpg

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

大块头

I'm not certain, but appears to be stylized or damaged rendering of 航空兵, or "air force". The time period you mention places it during the Chinese Civil War. I am not familiar enough with military history to tell you what side in that war would have used this equipment.

• Like 1

Pandarow

The second word is 空,and the third is 兵,but the first one is not that sure. Generally agree with @大块头,it should be 航空兵

roddy

Can we have a look at the time? Would be interesting. 

Jim

Could the first character be 佐 as in the military rank? Though tried searching for the three character combination using that but nothing.

• Like 1

airborne3

Thank you all for answering. It actually turned out that the watch was sold to Japan in 1933, and used by military there.
The characters most likely engraved and stamped in Switzerland based on a drawing supplied by the Japanese sales agent.
The numbering on the watch is stamped in Arabic numerals.

Here is the picture of part of the later marking, on a similar timepiece, where the watch was purchased as a movement only and cased by the same Japanese sales agent.
I use this picture as an illustration only. Here, the watch is numbered using Japanese character set punches.

The initial confusion probably arises from the fact that the seller had dated the watch as being manufactured in 1948 (based on incorrect serial numbers list), and
wrote a whole story about it being Chinese. In reality, the watch appears to be a trophy watch brought to USA by an American soldier after the end of WWII, similar to the other one referenced.

Again, thank you all for the efforts to help me with translation and transliteration.

Japanese.jpg

陳德聰

空 No. 2806