Chinese-Forums

HSK e-tests listening - how much time before audio

Paradox

Hi all,

I will sitting the HSK 4 exam shortly and I understand that for the e-test you can't see the multiple choices for the following questions in advance so you have to wait for them for each question.

I was just wondering how much time do you get to see the multiple choices before the audio starts? Is it like they say the question number and the answers show up or it shows up a couple of seconds before they say the question number? I can read fairly fast so if there is a few seconds I will be in a better position but if there is almost no time between the audio starting and the possible answers showing it will be a bit more tricky.

I read on other posts that some people felt they had enough time to roughly look at them all before the audio started but just wanted to get an idea of what to expect!

Hi @Paradox, welcome to the forums.

See here for a description of the sample online/computer-based HSK tests I found for all 6 levels.  You can try the HSK 4 out.

Whether these mock tests are exactly the same as the official ones I couldn't say, as this weekend will be the first time I've done an "online" test.  There is a Hanban logo on there, though.

Maybe others who have done online tests recently can comment on whether they're the same... I'm also curious!

Thanks! Interesting link there and seems to fit into what the other poster said that you can actually go between questions so you can see the multiple choice options ahead of time but just not all in one place. That should be pretty good!

Really want to pass HSK 4 on Saturday. Haven't done any previous ones and been mostly all self-study (but all outside of China). Hopefully I'll get there. Slightly worrying when I read some people getting high passes on mocks/past exams but then low marks on the real one but hopefully it won't be too bad.

• Like 1

Presumably you've also done some mock tests (the more the better) and especially read the transcripts to see the format of the questions for the listening part?

I'm going for HSK 3 on Saturday and was really surprised how much of a jump it is from Level 2.   Especially the reading section — so little time!

All the best for the 14th!

Yep, I've done lots of mocks so hopefully there won't be any surprises with the format. The jumps feel bigger each time you go up. The jump to HSK 5 looks horrendous!

I still don't feel I understand a lot of the HSK 4 dialogues in detail but with the multiple choice answers identifying the topic is often enough. And since we only need 60% and get more than 25% just by guesses, hopefully we will be ok ?

Good luck!

• Like 1

I took the HSK4 back in Jan. 

You have a time limit for each question, but once you’ve answered you can click “next” to see the next questions answers. 

So I would listen, answer and click next. Then I’d use the next few seconds to read the answers to the next questions before it began. 

• Like 1

@mackie1402 Thanks for that. Yes, you could only see the possible answers when you click next and the audio begins. You have two seconds to have a quick scan of the answers.

@mungouk Probably too late but that link isn't like the real thing. You can't jump to other questions and see the possible answers. 

Think the listening section went worse than I was hoping but we shall see. Really wish I could just get the results automatically!

• Helpful 1

@Paradox hope it went OK today for you!

I just wrote up my HSK 3 test in a new thread. I'd be interested to know if your experience was the same/similar (given you did Level 4).

Yes, I did notice that the test I did was similar, but not identical to, the online mock test I linked to.