Chinese-Forums

Understanding 数 (to regard, to reckon...as)

Sachaoc

大家好,

Today I was introduced to a grammatical structure that I don't think I grasped particularly well and so was hoping that someone might be willing to explain it to me. The notes in my textbook are a little on the brief side.  I read this sentence in the main text...在中国,气候最好,最舒服的地方要数昆明了。I thought that that meant something like Kunming is regarded as having the best and most comfortable climate in China. I think that's right. So then I saw some other examples: 我觉得最可爱的动物要数熊猫了。Does this mean "I think that the panda is regarded as the cutest animal" or "I regard the panda as the cutest animal?" Then I found another example I didn't understand...我们班数他年轻。Does this mean that he is regarded as being young by our class or that he is the youngest/young one in our class? 

I tried to find this on the internet but could not and don't have my grammar books with me at the moment. Is this used widely?

Hoping somebody can help.

Thank you.