Chinese-Forums

HSK 5 Pass mark?

XiaoXi

I'm thinking of taking the HSK 5 in the next couple of months and I noticed on here a few threads about there not being the 180 pass mark anymore? So not sure how it works now. I realise that for example universities require certain scores but if there is no pass mark, as long as I turn up for the exam I get the grade and then I'm HSK 5 (C1) ?

Thanks.

EDIT: I should mention that I'll be taking the computer based test rather than the pen and paper one.

For everyone in the future wondering about my previous post.

Well, I got a reply from chinesetest.cn. As it seems there is no 合格 column for hsk 5 and 6 like there is on all other test results (e.g. hsk 4 , 3 etc).

They told me it depends on the univercity/company you are applying to, to determine if you meet their requirements.

Quote from here.

Xiaoxi is right, in HSK 5 and 6 there isn't a specific pass mark. It is considered that a pass is at least a 60%, like in previous levels, but if you score lower than that you still get your score report and it doesn't explicitly say you failed. If you showed your certificate to somebody who isn't familiar with HSK, they would assume you passed (for example, I failed HSK 6 with 179/300, and in my country you only need 50% of correct answers to have a pass, so I can show my certificate and people will assume I have a C2 level of Chinese, which is far from being true). 

1 hour ago, 谢恩灵 said:

Uhhh I’m pretty sure there is still a 180 pass score. I took it in March and they told us the passing score was 180. Check on chinesetest.cn (I think that’s the website) 

Yeah that's where I found it, on chinesetest.cn:

http://www.chinesetest.cn/gonewcontent.do?id=8750536

59 minutes ago, Geiko said:

Xiaoxi is right, in HSK 5 and 6 there isn't a specific pass mark. It is considered that a pass is at least a 60%, like in previous levels, but if you score lower than that you still get your score report and it doesn't explicitly say you failed. If you showed your certificate to somebody who isn't familiar with HSK, they would assume you passed (for example, I failed HSK 6 with 179/300, and in my country you only need 50% of correct answers to have a pass, so I can show my certificate and people will assume I have a C2 level of Chinese, which is far from being true). 

Ok I see, yes that's what I suspected. So what if I get like 30 or something - I still get a certificate? I assume the score is on the front of the certificate because sometimes qualification certificates don't actually include the score - at least not specifically.

Btw 179 for HSK 6 is great, I don't see why you want to say you don't have C2 Chinese. Although I guess if it's not HSKK then it's not really the same as all the other CEFR language grades since they seem to all include an oral section, but still impressive nonetheless.

6 minutes ago, XiaoXi said:

Ok I see, yes that's what I suspected. So what if I get like 30 or something - I still get a certificate? I assume the score is on the front of the certificate because sometimes qualification certificates don't actually include the score - at least not specifically.

As far as I know, you will get your certificate no matter how low your score is. On the front of the certificate there's a column with your score (three sections + total) and another column with full score. But there isn't any mention to the passing score, as in previous levels. 

12 minutes ago, XiaoXi said:

Btw 179 for HSK 6 is great, I don't see why you want to say you don't have C2 Chinese. Although I guess if it's not HSKK then it's not really the same as all the other CEFR language grades since they seem to all include an oral section, but still impressive nonetheless.

First, because for me HSK 6 is more of a B2-C1 level than a C2, and second because although 179/300 is almost a pass, I scored 44/100 in the listening section, far too low to say that I have HSK 6 level. If my lowest mark was on the writing section, I'd be more indulgent with myself, but listening skills are fundamental, and I'm not there yet. But I keep working on it! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geiko said:

I scored 44/100 in the listening section, far too low to say that I have HSK 6 level

I wouldn't put yourself down on this at all, the listening test is a skill in itself and doesnt reflect your everyday abilities, its more of a memory test/multitasking skimreading/listening for keywords test (as im sure you know). Plus from my experience the success of the listening section is heavily reliant on the quality of facilities at the test centre. 

• Like 1