Chinese-Forums

Sample wedding speech for a laowai?

vellocet

2 hours ago, Zbigniew said:

Why? It's difficult to understand why anyone would have this as their priority on a day of solemn commitment to someone they're madly in love with.

Because it is important to the wife-to-be. Might as well ask why you want flowers or a nice dress at the wedding. Isn't it about the loooove? No, it is not just about the looooove. It's also about throwing a party that both the couple and the guests are happy about. Whether that means Pinterest-worthy flower arrangements or a speech by the groom that impresses your bosses (or both) depends on personality and culture. Either way, throwing the right party is pretty important to most marrying couples across cultures.

2 hours ago, imron said:

Doesn't sound like a great way to start a marriage...

Neither is assigning your fiance a responsibility that he is not well equipped for and then not helping him. But you are right, of course.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lu said:

Because it is important to the wife-to-be.

Right.

Luckily I've no insight into having the kind of spouse who at our wedding would want me to give a speech that prioritised me looking good in front of her colleagues.

15 hours ago, somethingfunny said:

I wouldn't overthink it, or get too stressed about it.  You're not trying to make people cry.

1. Thank her parents.

2. Thank her boss/bosses (by name).

3. Thank everyone else for coming.

4. Something about how great your life is after having met your wife and how you look forward to the rest of your life together (with children).

5. Something self-deprecating about your Chinese.

Then on to the eating and drinking, a.k.a. the important part.

This seems pretty good if you ask me. I'd probably do something like:

感谢她的父母,给她命,把她养得好

感谢*她公司*的*老板名字*、*名字*和*名字*,给她美好的工作环境

感谢大家的照临

感谢*她的名字*选我结婚生子

感谢大家对我中文不满处的包容

*举起酒杯*

我们为中国的四个现代化成功落实来干杯!

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

On 8/1/2018 at 4:53 AM, Zbigniew said:

Luckily I've no insight into having the kind of spouse who at our wedding would want me to give a speech that prioritised me looking good in front of her colleagues.

Well thanks for getting up in front of everyone and signalling how virtuous you are.  Instead of, you know, helping out with a sample speech like I asked.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:01 AM, 歐博思 said:

This seems pretty good if you ask me. I'd probably do something like:

Thanks man, I appreciate it.  That's the kind of thing I was looking for.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 9:12 AM, vellocet said:

Well thanks for getting up in front of everyone and signalling how virtuous you are.  Instead of, you know, helping out with a sample speech like I asked.

I didn't set out to irritate you, but I can see why I did. Sorry!

I wish you all the best for your wedding day and much happiness in your marriage. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...