Jump to content
Learn Chinese in China

Mistyped Occupation in JW201 form


Recommended Posts

  • New Members

I just received my JW201 form from an university in China. I got a full scholarship from CSC. But in the JW201 form, my occupation was mis-written as 'Worker' while I am not a worker anymore recently. Other than that, everything is okay and just as same as my passport and personal identity. Will it cause problem? Or can I just tell the officer of the Chinese Visa centre in my office? Please give me your suggestion. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.


I know nothing about visas or JW201 forms. It seems to me that it is not mistyped or mis-written it is just wrong and as such probably needs to be corrected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • New Members

Yes because my occupation has changed at this moment. When I applied, it was my occupation. But on the VISA application form I make my recent occupation as unemployed. Do you think it's okay? As there's no time for my university to change the form again. There was also someone whose status written as married in his form, but he's single. I hope it won't be a problem. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your occupation isn't specified in your passport then will anyone care? 

Since you're all about to become students, I would think your occupations are now irrelevant.  (Disclaimer: I have no experience of JW201/202.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

This might be one of the few times when a discrepancy between a JW201/JW202 and visa application isn't a deal breaker as it is not a personally identifiable and unique piece of information (name, birth date, passport number etc), and it is one where such a transition is normal given the circumstances.


It might also be a time where being technically accurate and providing the best or most relevant answer are two different things.  You are an employee now, for example, but won't be when you quit your job to depart for studies in China.  If you quit a week or two ago, I would just tick the employee box and have the two forms match; but if you quit, say, 6+ months ago, "unemployed" (current) or "student" (to be shortly) might be better.


The best option is probably to contact the visa office to ask, in advance; or, if that's not possible, simply fill out 2-3 visa application forms, each ticking a different box for this section and, after explaining the situation to the visa officer, ask them which they prefer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't cause any problem. I went to consulate of China this morning and handed in my visa application form and documents. I also had different occupation on my visa application form and JW201. The officer didn't say anything about it.

  • Helpful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...