Chinese-Forums

Authentic Japanese bento box in Shanghai?

vellocet

My brother will be here next week and he really loves Japanese food.  He's never been able to have a real Japanese bento, and when I meet him in Shanghai I want him to have one.  I want the super-fancy authentic Japanese kind, not the kind from Lawson's (although we might have one of those, too).  We're going to 鸟安 for dinner another day so we have authentic sit-down cuisine covered. I'm specifically looking for Japanese bento of any kind, doesn't need to be sushi.

In Japan, you can go to the basement of any department store, and they'll have bentos.  Do they have this style here?  Someone said Jiuguang in Jing'an Temple, but I checked their website and the basement is just a food court with a bunch of shops.  I don't see one for bento and anyway in Japan it's not a food court, it's all part of the department store itself.  

If not at a department store, where else could I get a real Japanese bento with all the bells and whistles? 

Isetan could be a good bet.  Takashimaya for a bit more up-market.

I was in the basement at Jing'an Temple metro station a couple of weeks ago, and beside all the foodcourts there's a big supermarket ("Freshmart" or something) which had lots of Japanese food and tons of Sake, but I don't remember seeing nice bentos in there.

There is an Isetan a couple of blocks away from West Nanjing Road Subway Station, in the same building as the American Consulate.

If you like western food, I recommend you try Wagas Restaurant, in the basement of the building across the street from Isetan (to the west). Wagas is in the basement, next to Starbucks and McDonald's. Look for the McDonald's sign. Wagas is a refreshing change if you want some western food besides Chinese food. There is also a Dunkin' Doughnuts nearby!

I checked Travelocity reviews of Isetan, and someone said there's a basement but it's a grocery store and a wine shop. There is takeout sushi but no bentos.  ?

If not the basement of a department store, is there a specialty shop for bentos?  There must be, there is a huge number of Japanese people in Shanghai.