Chinese-Forums

X1 and X2 visas

Tewie

Both are study visas.

X1: greater than six months stay in China, allows you to obtain a  resident permit so you can come and go (outside China) as many times as you like. Primarily for students who are studying full time in a University and with the (very) odd exception of private language schools (that are affiliated officially to some educational institute). Must be full time study.

X2,: less than six months studying in China, full time or part time . Only 2 entries possible . Most language schools can get them. 

The residence permit allows for other things like getting a Chinese car license, etc 

The above is as I understand it so open to correction if I made a mistake.

• Helpful 2

Welcome @Tewie!

Whether or not these people operate in your country, they have some FAQs that explain how the visas work in general.

https://www.visaforchina.org/

(Pretty bad website, but still useful.)

Edit: This site is more comprehensive: https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa.htm

12 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Only 2 entries possible .

X2 is single entry I think?

• Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, mungouk said:

X2 is single entry I think

I though it includes  the first time you enter the country and once more during the six months stay. I have forgotten now actually! Looks like I have this incorrect.

• Thanks 1

I believe the X2 just has the standard range of entries of other visas - ie, 1, 2 or Multiple. It depends what you ask for and what the embassy decides to give you. The X1 is a single entry, but requires (rather than allows) you to get the residence permit, which has multiple entries, within a month. 

• Helpful 1