Chinese-Forums

Sinolingua graded reader template

mungouk

Hi all,

I just bought my first graded reader from Sinolingua, and there's a template that comes it which allows you to cover the pinyin while reading the Hanzi, which I think is a great idea.

Knowing me, I am almost certain to lose the template within a matter of weeks, so I made a backup by scanning it.

Hope it's OK with the admins if I include it here in case it's of use to anyone else.  Make sure you print it out at exactly 100% scale.  (It's an A4 document.)

sinolingua-template-backup.pdf

• Helpful 1

@mungouk

Just to let you know that PLECO has all these readers included in their APP as an optional add on. It makes it a lot easier to check words with just a tap of a button and the pinyin is not shown.

I bought the paper versions but just couldn't get on with the blue template that comes with it. You might find it a lot easier than i did 

i would also look athe Chinese Breeze series. While the Sinolingua grader readers are good i am a little uncomfortable about the use of low frequency words even at the 1000 word level. Not a major issue to be honest and its context of the stories 

• Helpful 1

Thanks for the pointers @DavyJonesLocker. I had looked at one of the Pleco previews on my phone a few months ago and wasn't that keen on how it looked, but I've just got a new phone and it looks a bit better.

Biggest minus I can see is that the printed book comes with MP3s of audio, and so it can be used for listening/transcription practice as well, but Pleco doesn't seem to have any audio with it?  

I bought one of the Mandarin Companion graded reader PDFs as well, which typographically is a bit messy.  e.g. mixing songti and heiti typefaces in the body text.

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 16.14.46.png

Up until recently I'd been too busy preparing for HSK but I'm keen to get stuck into some reading now to see how I get on.

I purposely bought a cheap tablet solely to look at Chinese ebooks as I find the phone too small to read on. It made a big difference especially with plecos screen reader. 

I always much prefer printed books over eBooks but when it comes to Chinese reading I have to admit the ease and speed of use is far better. 

You can download the mp3 from www.pleco.com/getmp3 , one you buy it of course.

• Like 1