Chinese-Forums

Police registration for Flats

BVS

• New Members

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what kind of documents one must bring when registering with the police. I am a bit scared that if I rent a flat online the landlord may not wish to cooperate and come to the police station with me - does anyone know if that is a common issue? 

Thanks in advance,

-B

I registered mine a month ago and as far as I can remember I just needed a copy of  the contract , a photocopy of his ID card, copy of my passport and visa , previous registration form. 

You show them the originals (passport, visa, old residence permit, rental contract,  but NOT landlords ID card) and they keep the copies. The landlord never came with me in the many times u rented so I never had his original ID card, just a photocopy.

Some police stations will help you make a photo copy, others like mine wouldn't so you need to bring the copies with you.

Trying to think if there was anything else I needed 

If you are renting on line you should make it clear that you will need to register and he will have to cooperate. 

Why not actually do to the agencies and just look at the apartment yourself. 

• Helpful 1

18 hours ago, BVS said:

I am a bit scared that if I rent a flat online the landlord may not wish to cooperate and come to the police station with me - does anyone know if that is a common issue? 

Not a great idea to rent a flat online, sight unseen. Perhaps if a trusted friend with boots on the ground were to act as your agent in the deal, it might be OK. Otherwise I think it is risky business in several ways. 

1 hour ago, abcdefg said:

Not a great idea to rent a flat online, sight unseen. Perhaps if a trusted friend with boots on the ground were to act as your agent in the deal, it might be OK. Otherwise I think it is risky business in several ways. 

yeah i'd agree, especially in China. Most of the time the pictures are fake. i looked at nearly 50 places in Beijing before i settled on one 

You could just stay in a hotel for a few days. Agencies push you to move in asap so there will be no delay . in anycase, the usual rental period is a year (although you can get less) so signing up to something for a year without seeing it is pretty risky. 

I agree with @DavyJonesLocker and abcdefg: don't rent a flat online. You cannot trust the pictures. The good news: finding a place to stay in Beijing is not difficult (in my experience). Book a hotel or hostel for a week or so, go to all the agencies you can find and have them show you as many apartments as they can. Other good news: registration is also not difficult (again, in my experience). This is not the 1980s anymore, Beijing is quite used to foreigners living there.