Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
JamesMills

PAVC New 2017 vs CCC

JamesMills

Hi all,

I am going to buy either A course in contemporary chinese or practical audio visual chinese 3rd edition (2017). Has anyone had experience with either of these textbooks? Can anyone recommend which would be better?

I am a beginner and know both zhuyin and pingyin. Pingyin comes more naturally to me being a foreigner.  

Which textbook would be a good place to start? I heard PAVC is better to start with book 2, not sure if that is the case with the newest edition? 

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Shelley

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with either of the 2 courses you mention, but a popular choice is New Practical Chinese Reader, this is a full course with books 1 through 4 covering grammar, vocabulary, reading, writing characters, and with the DVDs, listening. There is also a workbook which is well worth having to practice what you are learning. There are also videos on You Tube.

ISBN for book 2 is 978-7-5619-2895-0   this should lead you to the series.

Book one is in pinyin (not pingyin) to start with but starts teaching characters after lesson 4 or 5 IIRC. I think it is a good idea to start learning characters as soon as possible as it is part of becoming fluent. or at least proficient.

There is also the choice of simplified or traditional, depending on where you intend to use your Chinese you should choose the appropriate one - Simplified for mainland China and traditional for Taiwan.

You don't say where you are but these textbooks are usually easily bought on line or bookshops can order it for you if they do not stock it.

If you would like to read more about this textbook and how I use have a look at my blog in the link at the bottom of this post.