Chinese-Forums

measure words in 'what' questions

li3wei1

In a short story I'm reading, I've come across this sentence:

你在看本什么书?

The meaning is obvious, but what's the measure word doing there? Going by what I've learned, I'd say either

你在看什么书?

or

你在看哪本书?

Is the measure word before 什么 colloquial, a regional thing, or is there some nuance that it adds?

• Good question! 2

• 5 months later...

I'm not too sure myself, tbh, but personally I'd interpret this sentence as being a lazy way to say 你在看一本什么样的书?Could be wrong though. Never seen a measure word used together with 什么 like this before.

Very odd in contemporary spoken Mandarin. It is most likely literary --- though colloquial, it's only found in fictions or stylish proses --- or regional.*

And Beelzebro is right. A classifier (本) without a numeral (usually 一) is traditionally described as ellipsis.

eg. 桌上有(一)本书。

-------

* it may also be used in old Mandarin (about which I don't know much). 

Interesting question.

If someone were to ask me 这是(一)本什么书? I'm more likely to answer 这是一本XX书 . e.g. 这是一本技术书 / 这是一本故事书 / 这是一本文学书 .

OTOH if I'm asked 这是什么书? I'd probably answer 这是YY (the title of the book).

I don't think answering the other way is wrong though, just that the form of the question hints at the form of the answer desired.  e.g. If you ask me 那是什么书? and I only know that it is a technical book without knowing the exact title, I wouldn't hesitate to answer 那是一本技术书 .