Chinese-Forums

Pls help me learn to quote

vivea

2 hours ago, vivea said:

Pls explain how to quote others on this forum, once and for all.

Highlight the section you want to quote, wait for a bit and a pop up box will be displayed saying "quote selection" like this ......

Quote.JPG

• Helpful 1

The problem can sometimes be other browser plugins - it might be worth turning those off if you have any, just to check.

You can also get a quote box by using the quote marks icon in the editor box, or by typing [ quote] like this but without the spaces [/ quote]

like this but without the spaces

Hi Vivea, I had been grappling with this too.  When I first tried DavyJonesLocker's solution, it didn't work.  Then I realized I wasn't signed in.  Once I signed in, his solution worked.  Now it works exactly like he described it.

I updated my browser and deleted a few plug-ins that I had that I wasn't using anyway. We'll see if that helps.

You can also get a quote box by using the quote marks icon in the editor box, or by typing [ quote] like this but without the spaces

Oh, this is nice and easy! Unfortunately, it doesn't provide a name of the person I'm quoting. I imagine people are going to find that quite rude of me.

Can I ask an additional question? How do people @Dawe3 others in blue? When I click on a person's nickname, it isn't inserted into my reply box, I'm just taken to their profile page.

39 minutes ago, vivea said:

Can I ask an additional question? How do people @Dawe3 others in blue? When I click on a person's nickname, it isn't inserted into my reply box, I'm just taken to their profile page.

I can help you with that. The key is to type the symbol "@" before typing the name. Then several possible member names pop up. You select the one of them that fits. When I type "@vive" -- without the "a" I'm offered three possibilities, including a member named "viveo." When I click on your user name, the one I want is entered in blue-highlighted text. @vivea.

Don't click on the person's name all the way to the left of the page that is above their picture. That is mainly useful if you want to send that person a private message. 

• Like 1