Chinese-Forums

Write a ChinesePod app, get a free trip to Taiwan

NinjaTurtle

Hi everyone,

I just received this email from ChinesePod:

------------------

ChinesePod is opening its brand new Tech Campus in Taipei, Taiwan and we’re looking for fresh ideas to update the ChinesePod App. We’re awarding 4 lucky winners a MONTH LONG ALL-EXPENSES PAID TRIP to Taipei! Winners will receive 3 weeks of IMMERSION SCHOOL, ONE WEEK of HANDS ON DEVELOPMENT BRAINSTORMING with the ChinesePod Executives, a roundtrip business class flight, a premium hotel stay for the duration of the trip and a VIP experience unlike anything you’ve seen before!

We are awarding prizes for submissions in four categories. Feel free to submit your ideas for one or all four categories.

Chinese Characters
Design an app that helps ChinesePod users learn Chinese characters. We’re looking for your best ideas on how a learner should go about learning how to write in simplified Chinese.

Integrated Dictionary
Submit your ideas for a better integration of the ChinesePod dictionary with other features of our website, including a flashcard feature.

Gamification of Learning Chinese
Learning Chinese doesn’t have to be a chore. We’re looking for your ideas to help make the journey more fun! Submit your idea for an exciting Chinese learning game.

UX App Improvements
Got suggestions on how our current app can be better? Or, is there a feature you think could be improved? Share your ideas for improving our current app and how it should work.

We’re excited to have the best minds come out to our new facility in Taipei to show off their ideas. Follow the link below to be among the first to be notified when we officially launch the contest next week!

https://chinesepod.app/?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=app_challenge

Got the email too. I kind of felt like, if I could write an app that good, why wouldn't I just pitch it directly to any of the big online Chinese learning companies? I mean the outcome has got to be better than a flight and a few weeks of study in Taiwan. Felt pretty unprofessional to me…

• Like 2

Last time I was on (I cancelled my subscription a while ago but went on semi-recently to check it out) they hadn’t released any new content for a long time and many users were already complaining. To be honest, I feel it’s been going downhill since they moved to Taiwan.

• Like 1

I was looking at the writing characters part and thought that they should forget about it. They should just concentrate on what they are doing as there are already apps to help people writing Chinese and highly doubt they will be able to create a better one and still do all the other stuff they’re trying to do. They will create a mediocre writing app and the rest of the content will suffer as well if they stretch themselves too thin. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 2:37 AM, Tomsima said:

why wouldn't I just pitch it directly to any of the big online Chinese learning companies?

You mean like ChinesePod?

7 hours ago, Tomsima said:

Design an app" doesn't mean actually  design an app?

It means design an app, not develop an app.

• Helpful 1

6 hours ago, imron said:
On 8/19/2018 at 2:37 AM, Tomsima said:

why wouldn't I just pitch it directly to any of the big online Chinese learning companies?

You mean like ChinesePod?

Maybe to someone who would be willing to give you a better deal for signing over your intellectual property than a free holiday and some Mandarin lessons?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mungouk said:

Maybe to someone who would be willing to give you a better deal for signing over your intellectual property than a free holiday and some Mandarin lessons?

App ideas are a dime-a-dozen.  What matters is execution on those ideas.  ChinesePod is offering to do the execution (i.e. the hard part).

5 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

If you have a good idea for an app get a few Indian developers and local Chinese to help you and own it yourself. 

I agree that doing things for yourself is the way to make money, but there are also non-trivial setup costs involved that keep people from trying.  The absolute *minimum* you'd be looking to spend on a decent (but trivial) app is maybe $10,000 (double that if you want both iOS and Android), with no guarantee of seeing any of that back.  Add in all the marketing and promotion efforts, and maybe what you are left with is people who have an idea or two (because ideas are a dime-a-dozen) but aren't so invested in it (or have the money lying around) that they want to execute on that idea themselves.  In those cases, throwing out an idea or two for a one-month all expenses paid study-vacation doesn't seem like a bad deal.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, imron said:

App ideas are a dime-a-dozen.  What matters is execution on those ideas.  ChinesePod is offering to do the execution (i.e. the hard part).

Point taken on the dev side, but they're asking for semi-functional prototypes, not just "ideas".  Quite a bit of work involved there, and not likely to be accessible to the average language learner either. 

After working in design and computing education for many years, I've seen/heard of way too many "competitions", or more recently hackathons, that offer nice prizes — usually to students — in return for taking the IP of all of the entries (not just winners) with the hope of making serious money out of them.  Maybe the T&Cs in this case do actually offer royalties, equity or whatever, but as I've not registered I haven't been able to read them because they're not public.

No disrespect to Chinesepod per se. I'm just very skeptical of these kind of IP-harvesting "competitions", instead of the user research and product development that a proper company should be doing anyway, if they intend to survive.

11 hours ago, mungouk said:

but they're asking for semi-functional prototypes, not just "ideas"

Where are they asking this?  I clicked through to the page, but it doesn't give any details unless you register (which I'm not going to do), and the post listed above seemed to mostly ask for ideas, with the exception of the first category which asks people to 'design an app', which in my mind would include a description of the basic idea as well as mockups for the main screens.  I don't see anything about semi-functional prototypes.

Now, I agree there's a case to be made that if you are capable of developing a semi-functional prototype you might be better off just bringing the full thing to market yourself.

There is also a case to be made that the categories of apps they are talking about are competing in a very crowded market and the amount you'd likely earn might not come anywhere near the value of what ChinesePod is offering as a prize.

11 hours ago, mungouk said:

After working in design and computing education for many years, I've seen/heard of way too many "competitions", or more recently hackathons, that offer nice prizes — usually to students — in return for taking the IP of all of the entries (not just winners) with the hope of making serious money out of them. 

I also don't like this sort of thing, but I think what ChinesePod is asking and offering appears to be different.

16 hours ago, imron said:

I agree that doing things for yourself is the way to make money, but there are also non-trivial setup costs involved that keep people from trying.  The absolute *minimum* you'd be looking to spend on a decent (but trivial) app is maybe $10,000 (double that if you want both iOS and Android), with no guarantee of seeing any of that back.  Add in all the marketing and promotion efforts, and maybe what you are left with is people who have an idea or two (because ideas are a dime-a-dozen) but aren't so invested in it (or have the money lying around) that they want to execute on that idea themselves.  In those cases, throwing out an idea or two for a one-month all expenses paid study-vacation doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Does depend on your risk appetite naturally but if I was on the Chinese Pod management team, this is what I'd be doing, getting some one else to do the work and rep the reward off their hard work.

Worked too long in international Finance and business to see that being smart (in a traditional sense ) is very low correlated to being successful . In any investment bank I worked in the PhD guys never really got that far career wise.