Chinese-Forums

Do you prefer local Chinese beer or beer from international beer brewers?

Nickkdez

• New Members

Hi all!

I hope this is permitted on this forum, but I think this will be an interesting discussion. As there is no consensus in existing literature, I want to ask you if you prefer local Chinese beer or internationally brewed beer from global beer companies and why this is. Besides discussing this in this topic, I would also like to turn your attention to the information below:

My Name is Nick and I am a Master student International Business and Management at the University of Bradford. For my Master thesis, I am conducting a study on the preference of Chinese consumers when it comes to local brewed and internationally brewed beer. Therefore, I would like to ask you to participate in the following questionnaire by clicking the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8WV8B29

Participating is completely anonymous and will help me greatly in my studies:)

Thank you!

I wonder what “global” beer companies are. We generally talk about beers as local or import here, where Asahi, Sapporo, Kirin are just as much imports as Heineken. You’ll find that there are not a lot of Chinese consumers on this forum, but you may want to consider how you’re defining your beers if you want any kind of answer that is meaningful.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I took your silly survey just now. Do you work for Heineken Beer company? Or does your research grant come from them? Sure looks like it. 

Cannot imagine that your results will actually be meaningful. What a shabby piece of pseudo research! You should be ashamed!

• Good question! 1

There are some decent Chinese craft beer brewers around if you can find them... Master Gao from Nanjing, Boxing Cat from Shanghai (?) and a few others I don't remember the names of.

I intend to conduct further research as soon as possible...

beers - 1.jpg

beers - 2.jpg

beers - 3.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 9:34 AM, abcdefg said:

Cannot imagine that your results will actually be meaningful

Looks to me like a student doing (i.e. learning how to do) some market research for a project.

@Nickkdez - I'm not really sure this forum is going to help you access the target audience you require.  We are from all over the world, united here by an interesting in learning Chinese and about Chinese culture.  Some of us are Chinese; most are not.

OTOH we might be a useful focus group if you just want to chat about brand perceptions generally. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 1:21 PM, mungouk said:

There are some decent Chinese craft beer brewers around if you can find them... Master Gao from Nanjing, Boxing Cat from Shanghai (?) and a few others I don't remember the names of.

Master Gao has to be the worst craft beer I've ever had. ? I'm a big craft beer lover, so I bought their sampler pack several months ago. I had to pour out a quarter of the beers and saved a few others for cooking. I don't think I've ever poured out a beer before! 

Chinese craft beer is in a sorry state on the national scene in my opinion. A lot of the brands sell beers at import prices but have terrible consistency (Gao is often more expensive than some imported craft beers around here!). Shangri-La Brewing is another big craft beer company here. Some of their beers are quite okay while others will make you want to spit them out. 

On the other hand, I've had some great locally brewed craft beers in China. Here in Hangzhou, we have Midtown Brewery (brewer is an American) which serves up some really great Chinese-inspired craft beers. It has been 5 or 6 years, but I seem to recall Chengdu IPA and Chengdu Stout being pretty delicious.

• Helpful 1

14 hours ago, Alex_Hart said:

Master Gao has to be the worst craft beer I've ever had.

Really?  I've only had the Baby IPA which I thought was fine, and the Jasmine Tea Lager, which was OK. I'm a big fan of IPAs.

(Obviously, this is literally a matter of taste...)

We just had a beer festival here in Singapore and I tried a couple of beers from Gweilo in Hong Kong which were also pretty good (on draft).

14 minutes ago, Hofmann said:

If you don't fix it, you'll drive away MBA applicants to your esteemed institution.

Oh come on. 

In all my years of teaching in universities, well-designed primary research has to be one of the most elusive qualities of students below PhD level, especially if coming from another discipline (almost a given for an MBA). Give the guy a break.

Looks like they're not coming back anyway.

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 23.36.21.png

18 hours ago, mungouk said:

(almost a given for an MBA).

And had the potential to be one of  most useless of Master degree one can hold. Highly depends on the university. 

I hear and read the most useless rubbish taught at MBA courses by lectures and professors who have never once worked in  a fortune 500 company or held any sort of senior position . 

I've been told by a woman who had an MBA and a good job that an important goal of an MBA was the people you meet while studying for it. Although I have another friend with an MBA who did his online and found at least as good a job (with a fat expat package even while he had been living in China for years already). 'Useless' is very relative.

• Like 1

Unlikely to be a norm Lu. Indeed it's a very relative term but MBA and Master of business are ones that get scrunitised most by top employers.

Fortune 500 companies look at what university the MBA come from . I have interviewed more than a few. There are Several reasons including one the definition is too broad.  Anybody obtain an MBA just by paying cash and entering a crap university. It's a big money earner for universities so they pack them it. 

However the main reason is the lectures just have text book knowledge, no real world knowledge. Much of what gets discussed in business does not get written into text  books . Its information that is not readily shared around.

Some of the information taught us just plain wrong. e.g discounting cash flows. Many teach a method which is one simply wrong and two, impossible to actually obtain in financial markets due to real world trading floors activity. 

3 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

I hear and read the most useless rubbish taught at MBA courses

I hear you @DavyJonesLocker, and FWIW my academic background is not in business.  Out of interest, is your experience from the USA or elsewhere?

Fascinating how these threads unfold... 5 mins ago we were taking about beer :)

1 hour ago, mungouk said:

I hear you @DavyJonesLocker, and FWIW my academic background is not in business.  Out of interest, is your experience from the USA or elsewhere?

Fascinating how these threads unfold... 5 mins ago we were taking about beer :)

i am probably sounding cynical here but actually the impetus of my gripe is more with some universities  that behave like charlatans to hard working students and families (often asian) who cannot afford the often exuberant fees!

I have always worked in the international investment banks (European and American) so I have seen the near disgraceful behavior at times. it has cleaned up a lot I admit. However the nature of the industry is pure and simple: make money. The reward to employees is often based on impetus of "get the job done despite the moral ethics of it". So i have met a few MBA educated chaps in my day who really haven't a clue about finance nor business, can't evaluate risk properly yet proceed to make a successful career out of blagging.

To be  fair many employees (in fact quite a lot) are outstanding, admirable and deserve the utmost respect. However they are often overshadowed by the charlatans who convince clients to part with large sums of money. When its the average Joes pension funds I cannot help but step in and right a wrong! unfortunately regulatory bodies do not have any sort of adequate laws for incompetence, like you might find in the medical or Aircraft industry. 

I basically teach MBA course to a state company here in china (at a fraction of the wage lol) but the job satisfaction is far far higher. Mind you going from plush  private toilets in central london to squat ones in an old communism style building is a change that takes time to get used to. ?

Ok i better go!  apologies to mods for derailing a thread! 

• Like 1