Chinese-Forums

Activity Streams > Manage Followed Content?

Gharial

Just curious if/when one's Activity Streams~Content One posted In appears in one's Manage Followed Content. (FWIW my Activity Streams go back to around Oct 2017 and my Manage Followed Content up to Oct 2016, not sure if I posted anything in between those rough dates).

The reason I ask is I find it easier to find stuff I (and possibly others in reply) have posted via the latter function, so I hope things automatically migrate across and that it updates itself over time.

Ooh, hang on, this thread has appeared in my Manage Followed Content. :)

Now all I maybe need to do is make a superfluous post in every thread I've posted in since at least Oct 2016, before they get lost in the sands of Chinese Forums time. :P

Why not? Because the Activity Streams are repetitive (many many mentions of the same threads/topics/whateveryoucallthem to scroll down through), at least as far as recent stuff goes. And all I need(ed) to see is a simple compact list (even if it amounted to however many pages rather than now the one continuous scrolldown nightmare) with pretty much just the title of each thread. I really don't need much more than that.

So the Manage Followed Content gives (gave) me exactly that and worked perfectly well, but the admin here keeps trying to flog all these latest bells and whistles you can supposedly very easily blow but that turn out to be limp flaccid...raspberries.

I mean, you know you're not exactly onto a winner when you have to write a veritable instruction manual for this crap (that personally I refuse to read, not that I think it'd actually be that useful, plus I for one really do have better things to do with my time), and even then there are clear reservations being expressed, scores of upvotes obviously being ungratefully withheld from poor slaving but busybusywork Roddy, etc etc:

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/53393-activity-streams-new-and-followed-content/?do=findComment&comment=408682

2 hours ago, Gharial said:

I really don't need much more than that.

Try this link, and then click the button at the top right that says 'condensed' to view the 'condensed' view instead of the expanded one.

I didn't read an instruction manual to get that, I just read and played around with the settings to get a stream of topics I posted in over the last 5000 days, sorted by newest first.  You can set the date range to whatever you want.  I do agree with you that the continuous scroll is frustrating and annoying.

2 hours ago, Gharial said:

but the admin here keeps trying to flog all these latest bells and whistles

It's not that we try to flog the latest bells and whistles, it's that we have to work with what we've got, and this is what we've got.  I know the older version of the forums software did it differently, but the older version of the forums software was no longer receiving security updates and so it needed to be updated, and this is where we are.

Security updates are one thing, but trying to put a brave face on wrecked functions quite another. Have you or Roddy actually given any feedback to whoever develops the software, or are they again just "Take it or leave it, mate".

BTW it occurred to me to select options like the condensed view even before you'd replied. I did take your advice however to set the date range to from when I joined these illustrious forums, so I can now enjoy even more of that continuous nightmare scroll that you agree is annoying. Oh, and to add insult to injury, it seems the date range is not one of the saveable features of these streams (or perhaps I missed something). But hey, entering a specific date every time won't get at all old, no no no.

Getting back to my original question though, how does one get one's Manage Followed Content to update itself since doubtless the time some of these crap updates and "more versatile" functions were introduced? Because I kid you not, I may start making somewhat superfluous posts in every thread I've posted in since Oct 2016 if the Admin here can't figure out another way to get the (well, at least my for one) Manage Followed Content updated.

1 hour ago, Gharial said:

Have you or Roddy actually given any feedback to whoever develops the software,

I can't speak for Roddy, but I haven't as personally it's not something that bothers me enough.

how does one get one's Manage Followed Content to update itself

I'm not sure and I personally don't use this feature.  I just tried following this thread and it updated it immediately.  Then I unfollowed it and it updated immediately again.

I suspect it doesn't retroactively add any previous threads you've posted in, but it's probably possible to update this manually via manipulating the database, you'd need to ask @roddy about that.

I may start making somewhat superfluous posts in every thread I've posted in since Oct 2016

And you may find that Admin just delete those superfluous posts, especially considering you could just hit the follow button in that thread instead.

• Like 1

you could just hit the follow button in that thread instead

Ooh a bit of potentially useful advice at last, I might just try that (sorry that I was too busy faffing around with the recommended Activity Stream settings to think of this myself!). And it's not like I've got anything better to do than now have to manually follow those "lost/transitional period" threads that in a previous incarnation of the forum would've been followed automatically without me needing to do much at all other than post in them. But hey, we got there in the end, through this slow and torturous but ultimately glorious open exchange of great ideas. Thanks again!