Chinese-Forums

Downloading Chinese Subtitles on Netflix

lazyseal

• 4 months later...
  • New Members

@lazyseal what I've just done was to switch Netflix’s interface language to Chinese, and voila! The Simplified Chinese subtitles were finally among the subtitle options.

I’m not sure why, but those are not available when using the interface in English. I started watching 流星花园 (Meteor Garden) to have something to practice with, and it was disappointing not having the Chinese subs as an option. This did the trick for me ñ_ñ

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

I found something online, for example you can try a Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox extension called Subadub or this script (use it at your own risk, it's worth to check it out first): https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/26654-netflix-subtitle-downloader . If you try it, let me know if it works. I'll try it too when I have time.

• Like 1

• New Members

I've finally fully solved this issue! ñ_ñ

If you’re interested too, this is what you need to do:

1. Download the ViolentMonkey extension (TamperMonkey and GreaseMonkey seem to do exactly the same in case you run into any issues with VM).
  2. Download the Netflix Subtitle Downloader script (ViolentMonkey will take care of that file and make it run properly in the browser).
  3. Switch Netflix’s interface language to Chinese (only if you're not able to see “Chinese” among the subtitle options).
  4. Load the movie/series you're interested in.
  5. Download the subtitles by clicking on “Download the subs for this episode” (which should be displayed on the right side of the subtitles menu).
  6. Use a tool like SubtitleEdit to convert the subtitles files to SRT format (this step is necessary because the subtitles will be downloaded in VTT format). This software even contains a batch convert option that will allow you to convert multiple subtitle files at once and keep them as individual files at the same time.
  7. Go to Subtitle Merger to merge your desired SRT files into one (to have two different languages shown at the same time on screen, I would advice you to select the “nearest cue” option).

If you wish to play your custom subtitles in Netflix too:

1. Go to SubFlicks to convert your SRT subtitles to DXFP format (Netflix’s video player is only able to load DXFP subtitles).
  2. Download the Super Netflix extension and load your custom subtitles (this extension will add a series of options on the top part of the Netflix’s video player that will allow you to load your custom subtitles, which will be automatically displayed after loaded).

Hope this helps someone out there! ^_^

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

• 5 months later...
  • New Members

thank u for your posts. That helps me a lot.
I need chinese subs cuz netflix dont offer chinese in this area. I download it from netflix Hongkong as they offer chinese a lot.
I will upload them in DFXP after doing this.