Chinese-Forums

Trying to clarify documentary research query

aroundthebell

• New Members

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I am seeking assistance in understanding the meaning of a Chinese speaker's response to a query on a video I have been asked to assist with research on. To give some background and context: I am a researcher in masculinity/masculinity practices, and I was asked to precis an independent  documentary video with English voice-overs on the situation of Chinese baby boys in this regard, viewed in comparison to a Western perspective. The section of the video that led to my original query was a scene with a woman holding a Chinese baby boy, about 8 months of age. As the woman and the baby boy are shown, the English voice-over says, in part, "There are various practices that may have implications for the perceptions of masculinity of baby boys, such as if the boy is  circumcised, for example". Because of the context given by the voice-over, I did wonder if the suggestion was that the boy featured in the segment was being referred to as having been circumcised, or whether the implication was that Western baby boys may be circumcised, but he as a Chinese baby boy would not be circumcised. In order to clarify this, I wanted to write to a Chinese speaker who was involved in the documentary project. However, since I have very little knowledge of Chinese, I relied upon an English-speaking project member who thought they may be able to help, though I had no real way of authenticating their efforts. Since I was effectively ‘flying blind’ with regard to whatever the English-speaker might translate on my behalf, I asked that they produce a ‘bare bones’ query, that would not portray the presentation of the baby boy featured in the segment in a negative light, but would also clarify the context of the voice-over and could be asked easily. They suggested that the relevant scene could be asked about simply in these terms: “爱的宝宝。 他有包皮?”. Ultimately, the Chinese speaker responded with “三胞胎”. I am wondering if anyone could help me to understand:
1) If the ad-hoc attempted Chinese translation could have conveyed the clarification I had sought, and

2) If the Chinese speaker’s response could be seen as understandable in light of the translation attempt.

I do apologize for the uninformed nature of my query, but I thought that the only way to try to resolve my questions was to put them out there and hope for something in response.

If you want to enquire about Chinese people's perception of circumcision, you could ask 中国人怎么看待包皮环切?

I think, though, it's quite a Western/US-centric question. I know the purpose of your project is to compare perceptions, but the assumption is that Chinese people have a perception on this. Apart from the muslim minority in China, I don't think this is a topic that even enters most people's thoughts. I mean, it's like asking you about Western people's attitudes towards consumption of ice during menses.

• Like 4

• New Members
On 8/22/2018 at 2:12 AM, 陳德聰 said:

“Cute baby. Does he have foreskin?”

”Triplets.”

Was the query delivered in speech or by text? 

To the best of my knowledge, the query was delivered by text, though I can't rule out the possibility that the reply may have been spoken to my intermediary and then delivered to me as text. In either case, I must say I can't fathom the response "Triplets", given the nature of the original question. Any thoughts?

None other than the reason I asked was because I assumed someone improperly delivered the query or improperly recorded the answer.

It’s possible that the question is so abrupt and invasive, and frankly a bit confusing (do not all babies normally have foreskin?), that the answer given was based on the person’s understanding that the question itself was an error.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 8:05 AM, anonymoose said:

I think, though, it's quite a Western/US-centric question.

And please keep in mind that this is one of the cases where 'the West' is not the word you need. Circumcising most to all male babies is not a Western thing, it's a US thing. In the Netherlands is it only done for religious reasons or if the foreskin causes actual problems, and I think this goes for more (all?) European countries.

And I agree with Chen Decong: the question is so abrupt that it is odd. I think you'll need to explain the background of the question to get a useful answer. As I understand the answer, the baby is one of a set of triplets (which probably explains why the video was readily available, perhaps from a news show or something), but that is not the information you need.

2 hours ago, Lu said:

Circumcising most to all male babies is not a Western thing, it's a US thing.

Well, it's way more complicated than that... much more a cultural/religious question than a geography thing. 

On 8/23/2018 at 11:34 PM, 陳德聰 said:

do not all babies normally have foreskin?

I'm about 50% sure that's right. ?