Chinese-Forums

Regarding X1 Visa and Residence Permits

MSG9

Hi guys! I have a couple questions because I'm quite confused.

1. My university told me to bring visa application fees, but I'm confused if this is necessary because I already have an X1 visa from the embassy? I don't know if it's just a misunderstanding. Or if I need to reapply for another X1 visa once I get there? But that wouldn't make sense.

2. I'm looking up the cost of residence permits to be ready. Is it true it can cost from 600 rmb to 1000? Does anyone know the exact cost?

As far as I understand, the procedure goes like: getting the residence form from the dorm for my university to see it, getting the health certificate after my health documents are cleared, returning the residence form to my dorm, approaching the PSB in my university for the residence permit and wait for it to be processed. Am I missing anything out? I'm so confused if I'm the one who's supposed to go directly to the PSB, or if the dorms are the ones to take care of our permits (but I guess it would be odd if it was up to them). 

Or does the university mean that they will take care of the residence permit when they say they will be collecting "visa fees"? 

PS. Sorry if this is out of this topic because I thought to put it here since I will be staying in Beijing.

Once your X1 visa is granted (by the embassy/consulate or whatever) you must convert that into a residency permit within 30 days of arriving in PRC.

The validity period of the X1 (for example 1 year, 5 years) only refers to how long it lasts before you enter PRC.  Once you convert it into residency permit, that is the document that matters.

• Helpful 1

I'd image the visa fee they are referring to is the residency permit fee. As far as I remember the x1 is only for the first time you enter the country. After that you can keep renewing in the residency permit but if you signed up to a long term course then you would have a residency permit for the duration of the course. (I renewed my yearly) .

Each year, I paid a residency permit processing fee of 600.  I know of one place on central being tried to charge students 2000 for visa processing charge but it was just a BS excuse to extract more money out of the student.

I hazard a guess that the min fee is 600 as my language school were pretty honest about this sort of thing and at the time the  office guy told me that they didn't charge anything extra. 

The school should handle the PSB side of things. (Mine did )  You get send off to get poked and proded by grumpy Chinese doctors for the health test. It's pretty fast actually but don't expect any comforting bedside manner. 

• Helpful 1

I recently(August 2018) converted a Z Visa (£151 single entry visa, for work) into a residence permit, required for living and entry/exit into the country.

The cost in my province 浙江(Zhejiang) for the residence permit was 800RMB from a specific exit and entry office at a police station. So I can only imagine the cost you listed is reasonable.

My company was good at preparing all of my documents for me, they had applied for some other documents related to working, accompanying me for medical check. but they told me that I had to go myself to apply in person at the police station. So I can only assume going in person is normal. Unless your school has a specific ageeement with the PSB.

They took my picture when I applied but I still needed to bring 2 ID photos of my own. Also they kept my passport for 3 weeks from application date while processing. Hope this helps.

• Helpful 1