Chinese-Forums

Scotts' fish and chips shop has menus in Mandarin and Cantonese

Zeppa

This story has been in all the paprs in the UK, about Chinese tourists flocking to a fish and chip shop near York. 

https://scottsfishandchips.co.uk/york-menu/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/humble-british-chip-shop-become-13130188

This kind of story is very popular, especially at this time of year. I can't imagine the Chinese are very fond of fish and chips.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zeppa said:

I can't imagine the Chinese are very fond of fish and chips.

Maybe not but it is a very touristy thing to do, can't go all the way to the UK and not have fish and chips, according the newspaper article you link to, they take pictures of everything including themselves eating their fish and chips, i guess to go in the holiday album to show friends they actually ate UK food.

4 hours ago, Shelley said:

they take pictures of everything including themselves eating their fish and chips, i guess to go in the holiday album to show friends they actually ate UK food.

I took a food tour in Hanoi recently. As we sat down at the table in yet another small cafe, the guide gave us a minute to snap photos of our food before digging in. She said, "I've heard that in many western countries it's traditional to say a prayer before eating. Here we snap a photo instead."

Certainly holds true in China as well. Got to provide a look for your Weixin 微信 friends. Perhaps even make them a little jealous. 

7 hours ago, Zeppa said:

kind of story is very popular, especially at this time of year. I can't imagine the Chinese are very fond of fish and chips.

Actually in Brighton and Bournemouth the chippers  always have lots of Chinese. My Chinese friends in the UK loved them. Mind you there is a very variation between a decent chip shop and a greasy spoon joint.

Good fish and chips are not cheap anymore. 

Oh I really miss it now that I think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Food tourism is definitely a thing across East Asia and for the millennial generation in general (for the 'Gram! #food #wanderlust).

Actually quite a few Chinese people (both in the immigrant communities and the middle class tourists) enjoy battered fish, often a lot more than what British (or at least, Londoners) do. That might just be a case of familiarity breeds contempt / 吃怕了 though. But there is definitely something to be said for the firm meatiness yet clean flavour of good cod clothed in that crispy shattering batter... 

Interesting. But I'm a bit disappointed about the clueless 'Mandarin and Cantonese'. That menu, as far as I can see with a quick browse, is in Mandarin. Cantonese people can read it too, just like Shanghainese and Inner Mongolians and the rest of the Chinese, but that does not make it anything else than Mandarin. Not sure where that comes from but I don't like it.