Chinese-Forums

I love Chinese Novels.

Bill Kris

• New Members

Hello everyone, I have studied Chinese for three years. Previously I found some discussions about Gu Long and Jin Yong (Louis Cha) in some forums and also read some novels created by them, such as The Legend of the Condor Heroes, The Condor Heroes Return and The Smiling, Proud Wanderer. Thank you for sharing the novels.  I am more addicted to the Chinese culture.?

Eleven months ago, I found Horizon, Bright Moon, Saber (The Magic Blade) by Gu Long from a website. After finish this book, I began to read other novels provided by this web, and discovered its books slightly different from Gu Long and Jin Yong’s works. I could not stop when I began reading. Desolate Era was my first book and I read 1451 chapters within 5 days?. The novels of this kind are interesting. From other forums and this website, I realize the likes of Desolate Era are xianxia and xuanhuan (fantasy) stories.

Wuxia novels are adventurous martial arts tales where characters perform extraordinary movements through the use of Qi, like super long and high jumps, and running across waters. These are illustrated in the novels such as the Condor Hero series, and Seven Swordsmen

Xianxia and xuanhuan (fantasy) stories are brimming with the elements like magical flying dragons, immortality, creating worlds of fire, and massacring crowds by spiritual energy. Xianxia is more based on Buddhism or Taoism. In this kind of tales, the cultivation paths of the fearless and kind (kind is relative to the story) heroes ultimately end happily. Xuanhuan is about anything except Buddhism and Taoism, such as I Shall Seal the Heavens, Against the Gods, Coiling Dragon, Banished Disciple’s Counterattack, and Reincarnation of the Heaven.

There are also some Chinese novels about virtual reality, and real life, for instance, I'm Really a Superstar (virtual reality, a genre based on parallel universe, but you will have to read it yourself), and My Wife is a Beautiful CEO. These tend to be lighter and funnier, at least from my point of view.

The examples given are the books I have read or heard of. I am fond of xianxia and xuanhuan novels. These types are influenced by wuxia stories greatly but also different from them. If you like wuxia stories, I believe you will love to read xianxia and xuanhuan novels. I say these still as a layman although I continue reading these stories. Thank you for your sharing. Now I am a fan of xianxia and xuanhuan novels and hope to share them with you.

Here are links to sites where you can read or learn more.

Wuxiaworld – Chinese fantasy novels and light novels!<The website provides the English versions of many foreign novels and reader-friendly reading patterns. If readers would like to read in advance, they can transfer to Patreon to support the translators of the novels they love. Established earlier, it enjoys more resources.

Gravity Tales – Wuxia and Xianxia Light Novels<Same

Noveluniverse - Xianxia,Xuanhuan novels<An amazing website for translated novels, it respects readers’ ideas. Readers can vote for the novel types and books they love. It will translate readers’ choices. What excites most is that the web offers connotations. Readers can look up the explanations of some exclusive terms of these novels. It is worthwhile to note that they have a patreon-like system, through which readers can read all the novels ahead and each chapter will be unlocked free of charge finally. More genres will be supplied in the future.

I hope my tips could help you and encourage you to have a try. You will know whether you like it or not after you try.??

• Like 1