Chinese-Forums

Position of modal verbs and translations

Tony24

Hello everyone, here is part of my homework!

I have to translate some sentences in Chinese but I’m not sure at all about them!

Here they are:

1 She can speak Finnish fluently, besides she can dance very well.

她说芬兰语会说得滚瓜烂熟,另外会跳舞得很好。

I’m not sure about the position of 会 with degree complement + object , I mean do I have to put it before the first verb or after I repeat it ?

2 I can’t come to the dinner you told me about because I have to help a friend transfer.

我不能去你晚饭的说,因为得帮朋友搬迁。

As far as this sentence is concerned, I’m not sure whether 你晚饭的说 is the right way to translate “ ... the dinner you told me about” in Chinese.

3 I no longer want to watch that horrible movie of the other day.

我不想看日前的那可怕电影了。

Again, here I’m not sure whether this is the right way to translate “...that horrible movie of the other day.”

Any help would be very appreciated :)

• Good question! 1

1 Just put the object in front of its verb: 她芬兰语说得流利,而且舞跳得好。The 'besides' in "...besides she can dance" also sounds more natural as 'also', if your first language isn't English by chance.

2 Depends on how formal your dinner is. 我不能跟你吃晚饭,因为。。。。or 我不能跟你去参加晚宴会了,因为。。。。。

3 我不想继续看前几天在看的烂电影了

disclaimer: not a native Chinese speaker

1 You originally did the VOV (verb object verb)得 repeating style, where the first 她说芬兰语 is the topic, and where it repeats is where the main action is taking place, thus the 会 with the second V.

2 For your intended meaning, yes. Change my above #2 to 你跟我说的那顿晚饭. I rephrased it more directly above because I'd constantly hear "we don't say it that way" before, and I wanted to be a real Chinese.

3  It's just my gut feeling and I'm not sure you need it, but I feel it adds a certain Chinese concreteness to it. 'Verb that object, son!'

I'll defer to the experts now.