Chinese-Forums

Which universities accept older students?

Arghya

Can anyone guide me as to which university in China accept international students without any upper age limit? I have passed M.A.(Chinese language) in India and wish to stay in China for 2/3 years, to improve my Chinese. My preferred courses are MTCSOL or Ph.D. in TCSOL or China Studies or Translation or linguistics. I am quite old, 58 to be precise, but am as energetic as any youngster. I have been a mendicant monk all my life and have passed my B.A. in 2015 and M.A. in 2017. Presently, I am doing my M.Phil. (Chinese) in India.

• Like 1
  • Good question! 2

Hello @Arghya and welcome to the forums.

This is a good question, and one I'd be interested to hear the answers to.

If you're still an ordained monk, are there any institutions which specifically cater for you and your brethren in China?  

For what it's worth, I'm in my 50s and was accepted this year to take a Chinese language course at XJTLU this year, but had to turn it down due to personal circumstances.  Obviously that's very different from doing a PhD. 

It does seem rather difficult to find information about maximum age limits online, I agree. 

• 2 months later...

I hate to be the bringer of bad news. And I hope I am proven wrong.

Chinese education is still largely traditional. Our lecturer said as such there is no such concept as a local mature student, unlike we are used to in Australia (and I believe other Western countries). Even among full fee-paying foreign students there are arbitrary hard age limits set ranging from 18-25, 18-30, 18-35 and 18-45. This is for the clinical medicine course. I was roundly filtered out from those other medical universities teaching MBBS in English.

I hope things work out for you. In the near future, perhaps career change will be recognized as a human right, too.

@Arghya, with your background, I'd look towards Taiwan.

Have you tried contacting places like 佛光山 or Dharma Drum? 

https://www.fgs.org.tw/

https://www.ddm.org.tw/

Their campuses may have age restrictions, but they do take visiting scholars and may be able to accommodate you.  There's always a door open in a Buddhist temple.

• Like 1

You would qualify for some short-term courses, but probably not for longer-term undertakings, I think. Eg, see here

http://admission.blcu.edu.cn/en/77/list.htm

It's likely possible to string together a few short-term courses. You'll also find requirements less strict at private schools, but they'll be more expensive.