Chinese-Forums

2019 CSC Scholarships

lethargica
Lu
Message added by Lu

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Lu

• New Members

I asked an agency recently regarding the CSC scholarship, and they said the probability of getting the scholarship if we apply it by ourselves is slim to none, and we ought to have HSK 5 certificate. I know the information on the internet said otherwise, but I can't help but wonder if this is a hoax or not?

I have also a question around my mind,  and it's about UCAS, it could be better to apply to UCAS (University of China Academy of Sciences) or to the normal universities?, and in the case that I apply to UCAS, and don't get the admission, could I have the chance with the next two universities ?, someone who is studying, or knows about this. 

Also, someone here who is studying or knows about Jilin University or the China University of Geosciences (Beijing)?

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can shed some light on.

I am currently a PhD student in the EU (but am a US citizen). I am interested in doing some fieldwork in China (to go to China and conduct research), and was wondering if I could apply for general scholar / senior scholar in order to do fieldwork? My plan was to conduct research for 12-18 months. I have some funding from my home university but more money is always better ...

If it matters, I completed my Master's degree in China on a CSC scholarship (2012). 

Thanks for any insights!

On 11/30/2018 at 10:30 PM, lavtam said:

I asked an agency recently regarding the CSC scholarship, and they said the probability of getting the scholarship if we apply it by ourselves is slim to none, and we ought to have HSK 5 certificate. I know the information on the internet said otherwise, but I can't help but wonder if this is a hoax or not?

Don't believe any agents. They want your money! You can get it on your own if you fulfill the criteria and if there is not much competition in your department. Good luck. 

• Helpful 1

If we apply by ourselves and we know zero Chinese/have to take preparatory year first, then how does it work? I mean let's say I applied to A university, do they send me to B university to take preparatory year and then I can start studying at A university or do I have to apply to B university, get HSK certificate and then apply to A university next year?

11 hours ago, woshilara said:

we know zero Chinese

If you get granted the scholarship, and know zero chinese, you have to specify in your application that you need to take chinese lessons prior the begining of the program to reach the chinese level required for whatever program you applied. You can take one or 2 years of chinese language and once you are finished you have to prove with HSK that you reached the language level requirement and then you start your classes, no need to apply again.

If you are applying for a bachelors and you know zero chinese (I think you need to get HSK 4 for bachelors but Im not entirely sure) then there are like 15 or so universities in China that are entrusted by the scholarship council, and then, in that case, you will apply to A uni but will be sent to B uni to learn chinese before starting your bachelors degree. Unless your target university is also one of those 15 or so unis then you would study language and the degree in the same place.

For masters and phd you would take the chinese lessons at the same university you were admitted.

I dont know if I made things clearer, English is not my native language, but you can now more about it here http://www.campuschina.org/content/details3_74775.html

11 hours ago, woshilara said:

If we apply by ourselves

What do you mean by applying by yourself? you can only apply through the embassy in your country or, in some universities, apply directly with them.

Good luck!

• Like 1

U guys should not worry.

I apply csc type B last year on my own.

I sent my documents to the school.

I know zero chinese as of my time of application.

Yet i got in.

So u can.

There is no special requirements or exam jst apply and wait.

Its luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• New Members

Hello, 

I have a question concerning the CSC Scholarship as a Chinese language students. I'm currently filling my application for the year 2019-2020 and on the website I saw that they asked a recommendation letter. I was wondering if it's something really needed for language students? And if yes, is there something precisely that should be mention inside? 

Thanks for your answers! 

23 hours ago, Athéna-A said:

I have a question concerning the CSC Scholarship as a Chinese language students. I'm currently filling my application for the year 2019-2020 and on the website I saw that they asked a recommendation letter. I was wondering if it's something really needed for language students? And if yes, is there something precisely that should be mention inside? 

AFAIK, Only Masters and Ph.D. need 2 LORs. If the university you are applying to specifics then you need to submit it. The letters are by associate profs or prof. The one letter should be related to your field i.e. in your case "Chinese language prof". It's just LORs written in formal language that you are an excellent student etc. It doesn't need to specify anything precisely. 

On 10/3/2018 at 12:53 AM, Ampicillin said:

Hello, You can ask me questions and doubts. I will reply you back when I am online :)

Hi, I'd be glad if you could help me.

I notice you study at Tongji University, I plan to apply for this school. On their website it's not clear if the scholarship provided by the Shanghai government for Tongji covers only masters and doctors or also undergraduates. Do you know about it?

Thanks!

On 12/21/2018 at 12:40 AM, Marcela said:

Hi, I'd be glad if you could help me.

I notice you study at Tongji University, I plan to apply for this school. On their website it's not clear if the scholarship provided by the Shanghai government for Tongji covers only masters and doctors or also undergraduates. Do you know about it?

Thanks!

AFAIK, Undergraduates students can only come through one pathway if they want a scholarship which is their Country embassy and China bilateral relations. Tongji (or any university in China) doesn't give the direct scholarship to undergraduates. 

8 hours ago, Ampicillin said:

AFAIK, Undergraduates students can only come through one pathway if they want a scholarship which is their Country embassy and China bilateral relations. Tongji (or any university in China) doesn't give the direct scholarship to undergraduates. 

Thank you! I’ll try to get in touch with the university to know better about the process. But, in case you can help, I saw on their website about the shanghai scholarship. In the scholarship content they only talk about masters and doctors, however, when it comes to eligibility they also talk about undergraduates. Because of that I wasn’t sure whether I, as an undergraduate, could apply to this scholarship or not. I will try asking them to make things clear. And thank you!

P.s: I’m aware this area is mainly for CSC 2019, so I apologize ^^

• New Members

Hi guys! I really need some help with some of the requirements for the CSC Scholarship.

I'm an American and currently a Chinese language student in China at Tsinghua. I'm either going to be applying for a Chinese language program scholarship to keep studying here while I apply for bachelors degree programs, or apply with a pre admission letter to a program I was accepted to (but not necessarily the major/school I want).

I was told that notarization of transcripts is optional now, but I'm still planning on doing it just to be safe. Does anyone know EXACTLY what the standard is and how to get a HIGH SCHOOL diploma and transcript notarized? I read that the Embassy in Beijing doesn't notarize educational documents, but I also saw somewhere that notarization isn't enough, and we have to get an apostille. The contact at the China Embassy in DC said just a notary public works, does anyone know what this looks like?

Also, does anyone know if we are still eligible for a general scholars/chinese language scholarship while we are in a program? I figured it's fine.

Thank you!