Chinese-Forums

2019 CSC Scholarships

lethargica
Lu
Message added by Lu

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Lu

Any lastly before coming to China ensure you have VPN installed on your fone and a translator. This could help you incase u have challenges with language. And also change some rmb incase for mobility and other miscellaneous. Not all schools arrange for pickup so if your school doesn't have arrangement for that. No problem u can find your way via some of the documents included in your package.Goodluck y'all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey guys,

My status at Zhejiang University website changed to Accepted (though i didn't get any email yet), but on the CSC Website it's still only Submitted (seriously, not even In Progress). I'm in same position as @Xiaoli_13. It's so hard to wait :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stella kang said:

Is it right that CGS results come out this week?

CSC and universities must have results by the end of July, but it might take as long as mid August for Embassies to release results, or at least thats how it is in my country?

@beth Only people who apply type B receive acceptance emails and delivery directly from universities with the visa and such cause people who apply type A their letters aof acceptance and rest of docs are send to Embassy. We have to be patient until our Embassies contact us, or you could try calling maybe they already have results but have not released them yet.

About receiving acceptance emails, thats just what Ive seen so far this year, btw. Only type B people having contact with unis, not type A, but I would be happy to know everyone elses info

• New Members

Hi everyone, does anyone know how early you can go to China in relation to the start date of your course? For example, I would like to head to China about a week earlier than the start day of my course, does anyone know if this is possible?

4 minutes ago, GabrielaVD said:

About receiving acceptance emails, thats just what Ive seen so far this year, btw. Only type B people having contact with unis, not type A, but I would be happy to know everyone elses info

I applied type A, yet got a confirmation email from the university with some basic information, e.g. how to register on arrival, accommodation, stipend etc., and a congratulations on receiving the CSC scholarship with my name on a list with names and what campus you'd be on.

btw. Applied for General scholar for Chinese Language

28 minutes ago, GabrielaVD said:

Only people who apply type B receive acceptance emails and delivery directly from universities with the visa and such cause people who apply type A their letters aof acceptance and rest of docs are send to Embassy. We have to be patient until our Embassies contact us, or you could try calling maybe they already have results but have not released them yet.

As I have mentioned before, I applied for a CSC scholarship in a smaller city, so I'm not sure how many people will have/had an experience like mine.

I believe Gabriela is correct that type A applicants will receive scholarship documents from their embassy/consulate, but just wanted to share a bit more of my experience.

I was contacted at the beginning of May via email by an admin at my first choice university. Their email read that the university would like to accept me as a student (however, this was not a formal email or invitation). The admin also provided their WeChat information so we could communicate there. On WeChat, I was told that I wouldn't receive the admission letter until July or August.

About two weeks ago, the admin let me know that this document was on its way from China. The consulate called me last week to let me know they received my admission letter. They asked me to confirm my address so they could mail the paperwork to me.

I'm in the US, if that helps anyone.

TL;DR - if you submitted a Type A application and you are awarded the scholarship, you should receive documents from your embassy/consulate. However, you may also be contacted by a representative at the university that plans to enroll you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GabrielaVD said:

just received response from my Embassy and unfortunately I wasnt granted the scholarship. Hope you have better luck and I think thats all for me on this thread, you were all great support while waiting!

how did they communicate to you? did you call them or they call or txt.

Am waiting here too.

@GabrielaVD pls your country?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, philippo said:

Accommodation wont be a problem. Any time u arrive. You wud be registered into a room. U

It depends on the university. SJTU does not assign dorm rooms to CSC recipients and they need to register themselves to secure a room.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, philippo said:

before coming to China ensure you have VPN installed on your fone

People need to be aware that China has been cracking down on VPNs. When I was in China in Autumn 2017, the free VPNs like Betternet, Hotspot and TurboVPN worked fine. When I last visited in March this year, I was having trouble connecting to UK servers in NordVPN (paid) and TurboVPN (free) in various major cities.

One way around this is to use a Hong Kong data SIM from Cuniq (China Unicom) so you can access Google and Facebook products without a VPN but it's more expensive than getting a Mainland Chinese SIM.

1 hour ago, Dddddmmm said:

For example, I would like to head to China about a week earlier than the start day of my course, does anyone know if this is possible?

One week should be OK. Just be aware that you are given 30 days from date of entry to apply for the temporary resident permit (assuming you have an X1 visa). Apparently it takes around two weeks to apply for the permit.

48 minutes ago, GabrielaVD said:

unfortunately I wasnt granted the scholarship.

Awwwww.. I so wanted you to get the scholarship this year. Try again next year young padawan ?

• Like 2