Chinese-Forums

Chinese cola chicken wings 可乐鸡翅

abcdefg

I tried a steamed chicken with shiitake mushrooms dish the other day, the chicken was marinated in 料酒,醬油 etc. It was fantastic, best food Ive cooked so far this month. I've been mostly exploring 川菜 as it's what I'm most familiar with having lived in hubei, and this dish was by far the most 清淡 thing I've done, but maybe that's why it was so refreshing

• Like 1

That sounds delicious, @Tomsima. I just returned from a trip to Macau and one day at lunch I had a Cantonese-style steamed chicken dish which sounds like it might be similar. It was a traditional Hong Kong style 茶餐厅 where dim sum was available. Sometimes these simple dishes really hit the spot. I think a lot depends on the quality of the chicken, how flavorful it is, how fresh it is.

One of the outdoor market vendors where I usually shop specializes in free-range birds for sale, chickens, guinea fowl, and pheasants. They are all about half wild and must be captured from their perch in trees at night while they sleep in order to be taken to market. The merchant's sons sneak up on them, using pre-positioned ladders. 

They put out some extra feed, mainly cut grass and the scrap outer leaves of lettuce and cabbage, occasional handfuls of old dried corn, but other than that the birds exist by foraging. They are less fat, but full of flavor. Their feathers and legs are black. 

If you make the dish again, I hope you will start a new thread and post some photos! All contributions welcome. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 4:15 AM, abcdefg said:

Often these dishes are bland 清淡, although delicious in their own way. ("Bland" when applied to things like this is a compliment, not a criticism." )

"Clean-tasting" is the way to sell these dishes to Anglophones nowadays. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't resist having a go at your recipe.  I've tried making this before but never been completely happy with the result.  Unfortunately, chicken wings here come complete, so I chopped them into thirds and sure enough the 中 section was pretty much perfectly cooked, while the 根 section was a little too meaty and the 尖 section just a waste of time.  Adding the 白芝麻 really makes a big difference to the presentation.

IMG_0094.thumb.JPG.317d131cf6043bd271cf040d6dd52935.JPGIMG_0098.thumb.JPG.b9ce024a3765e527e235a9cf018729a3.JPG

Had it along with some tofu and another diced meat/vegetable dish.

IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.e367e5785f42edcb99ea6b39a451345d.JPGIMG_0096.thumb.JPG.27b1265ef1cef3a20559554bb02a05af.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, somethingfunny said:

Unfortunately, chicken wings here come complete, so I chopped them into thirds and sure enough the 中 section was pretty much perfectly cooked, while the 根 section was a little too meaty and the 尖 section just a waste of time. 

Nice job, @somethingfunny -- Looks delicious! You turned out a very fine Chinese meal! 

I save the wing tips 鸡翅尖 in the freezer. Put them in a plastic bag along with the bones from deli roast chicken and use them all together for stock when I get enough. 

@DavyJonesLocker No - I used a non-stick pan and fried it in batches, so no problem with anything sticking to the pan.

The middle tofu dish I took from a 川菜 recipe book, and I think it was called 家常豆腐.  It was a pretty simple dish with minced pork and 豆瓣酱, but the result is pretty good.

MODERATOR -- Hello. Could you help me split some of this wok discussion off into another thread so it doesn't take the original discussion too far off track? Thanks. 

I tried doing it here, but it needs your more polished and professional touch: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/57246-selecting-a-wok-炒锅/?tab=comments#comment-444065 

Alright, I'm done. Here is your nice clean new thread on woks. Enjoy, and let me know if something is still amiss.

General note: we mods are always happy to help split a thread. We can easily move posts from one thread to another, or make a new thread. Regular posters can't do this. So if you'd like to have a thread split, just leave us a note and we can do it for you. It's easier than trying to do it yourself. You can either send a message or report a post and ask. Reporting a post can be done if there is something wrong with it, but you can also use this function to make requests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, @Lu for cleaning up this thread. But where is the new "Selecting a wok" thread? 

--------------------------- 

OK -- I found it. Shouldn't it appear in the listing of "latest topics" on the home page? I'd like for it to attract comments from other members besides me and DavyJones. I would guess everyone living in China has a wok. Be interested in gathering varied insights. 

• Like 1