Chinese-Forums

Politics and other topics

emuboy

Does anyone know of any resources for politics directed at intermediate learners? I find a lot of the time I want to talk about it but I'm missing so much vocabulary that it makes it really difficult.

Also looking for stuff relating to medicine and space, which is quite random, but I figured I may as well ask.

Cheers!

There was a post the other day that mentioned the American Mandarin Society's Podcast, which seems to have a reasonable amount of politics related content, however looking at the content now it seems they only post very rarely and irregularly.  It's not intermediate level however and I expect you won't have much luck finding content at that level except through graded newspaper content such as the chairman's bao and similar.

• Like 1

On the vocab side, googling mandarin politics vocabulary brings up quite a few lists.  Medicine might be a bit less successful.

As @Luxi pointed out a few months back, one of the handy tools PurpleCulture have on their site is annotated daily news

The articles are of variable length and a bit like The Chairman's Bao, except they're free and not graded. It looks like they're pulling them from a newsfeed somewhere and processing them automatically, rather than curating them, but might be worth a look.

• Like 2

I recently came across this guy: https://www.wenzhao.ca/

His free podcast style commentaries on youtube are fantastic, but it might be a bit above intermediate level depending on your level. Its straight talking commentary on international politics and economics without TGF limits. Worth a look either way for anyone interested in practicing their listening and vocab building in this area. 

• Like 1

Talking of limits, this list of terms banned by xinhua's "style guide" published by the SupChina Newsletter is an interesting read... since it lists preferred alternatives for many terms it also includes a lot of usable vocab as well as other more questionable stuff. NB: includes a lot of profanities.

The free version of SupChina Newsletter (in English) generally has loads of links to stories in politics, business, tech, culture/society in every edition, many of them in Chinese, and often includes bits of vocab itself.  See the archives or subscribe here.

• Helpful 1