Chinese-Forums

Helping hand with Wechat??

5h4d3

I just received this from WeChat by email, almost 36 hours after reporting the issue using the Help Centre, and 24 after I discovered the account was working again:

"Dear user,thanks for your feedback. Currently, your account is working fine. We suggest you to log in again.If the problem persists, please feel free to contact us."

I like the style... there is no problem. Ha!  Rather than "We're sorry about that and we fixed it", or even better "we fixed it and this is what caused it — [explanation]. Make sure you don't do it again".

9 hours ago, 889 said:

I'm going to guess the problem was first registering with a Singapore SIM on that phone, then registering anew with a UK SIM.

But the first account was blocked before the second one ever existed.  I used the first one a few times in Singapore and then in the UK when I came back here.  That's "abnormal"...?

I only created the second one because the unblocking process for the first one that WeChat suggested didn't work for me and my friend who's in Singapore.

If you have the habit of logging out of your account when finished using it, that might be a problem.

Using WeChat from a different country shouldn't get you blocked. It's the attempt to log in from a different country that is suspicious.

I suggest you stay logged in at all times, and use applocks to prevent it from being used by others.

If you get your job and move here, you'll need WeChat constantly anyway. People here don't use credit cards. It's either cash or WeChat/Alipay, and small/tiny businesses prefer WeChat Pay.

well this is a timely post (almost) . I got my father a smart phone at the start of the month and installed wechat international on it. A day after I installed it, the account was locked. I tied to unlock it by using the only two contacts I put on it (my brother and myself), however a message came back that the account the number was associated with, was blocked due to suspicious activity (or something along those lines that). I sent a message to wechat customer service with the screenshot and 48 hours later, no reply. As I had to fly back to China I had to create a new account with my temporary SIM card I was using at the time. The new account is  still working but not ideal at all as the number its associated with is no long in use. 

I have no clue why as he has been using the same number (vodafone) for must be more than 10 years now

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 889 said:

You've never been blocked by Google, Yahoo, Amazon, etc when they see you logging in from a different country?

Blocked? Never. 

Sometimes get an email saying they saw a login from a new country or new device, but that’s it. 

I have never been blocked by anything except once by we chat after it updated and I had to log in again, I think what happened was I made a mistake with the email or password and it banned me till I had the right one and 7 or 8 friends had sent a code.

I never log out unless I am forced to for some reason.

"Blocked? Never."

You're fortunate, then. Here, for example, is the message I receive from Google:

Critical Security Alert

Sign-in attempt was blocked.

XXXX@gmail.com
Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account. Google blocked them, but you should check what happened.

I'm like Publius, i.e., I never log off wechat (and have never been blocked).  If WeChat wants to track my movements, I think they'll get very bored.  I'm not a secret agent or anything close to that 哈哈    :)   His comment that logging on from different countries could trigger a block makes sense.  

Based on the comments above, I may set up voice print for recovery.  My hesitation is that while you can recover from a hacked password, if your biometrics get hacked, you can never recover.  

If you are willing to use cellular data, I believe you can access gmail from China (but not while on wifi or hardline).  As with WeChat, I don't long out of gmail on my phone, so when in China, I haven't needed to log in on my phone (and can't on my laptop).

I check Wechat more than any other electronic service, both in China & the US.  

8 hours ago, Dawei3 said:

If you are willing to use cellular data, I believe you can access gmail from China

No, I could never access gmail through the website, not through the app with mobile data. 

I regularly use a VPN so we chat would be going through servers in different countries and it has always worked fine for me. I dont log out much only unless I need to sign as using another mobile device, however I notice it you log on using a pc you are not automatically logged out of wechat on phone now. Handy

• 1 year later...