Chinese-Forums

HSK Vocabulary list with Chinese definitions?

XiaoXi

I was looking originally for a Chinese Chinese dictionary in something like JSON format or otherwise in a simple text list, but having no luck finding that I'm now looking for a HSK vocabulary list but with all definitions in Chinese. Most lists don't include definitions at all, and if they do they're in English so I'm guessing this may be hard to find. If not then a list of a few thousand common Chinese words with Chinese definitions would also be very useful.

Hmm it appeared almost perfect, but strangely it's missing so many common words? Like so many of the HSK 5000 are not in there for example. Odd since it's such a large file at 26MB but still it's certainly useful. Thanks for finding that.

11 hours ago, XiaoXi said:

Thanks for finding that.

I was pretty impressed with myself when I stumbled across this too ?

Hopefully parts of it will be incorporated in to CTA at some point.

11 hours ago, XiaoXi said:

but strangely it's missing so many common words?

I haven't looked at it in depth, but it contains over 250,000 individual words so it'd be surprising if it's missing many common words..... <goes and does some investigating..> ok, wow, consider me surprised.  I did a brief analysis, and you're right, it's missing some really common words.

By my count it's missing ~1,700 words from the hsk lists which is about a third of all hsk vocab.  Hmm, maybe it'll be less useful than I'd hoped.

11 hours ago, imron said:

I was pretty impressed with myself when I stumbled across this too ?

Yes I'm sure, especially since I was unable to find it myself.

11 hours ago, imron said:

By my count it's missing ~1,700 words from the hsk lists which is about a third of all hsk vocab.  Hmm, maybe it'll be less useful than I'd hoped.

It is kind of odd. To contain 250,000 words but be missing some of the most common ones. Perhaps it's geared towards a certain type of vocabulary...? It often surprises me because it has a word I didn't expect but equally surprises me when it doesn't have a word I was sure should be in there. But up until now I've had no dictionary and the prospect of gradually building my own did not excite me. :-? So this is certainly still a great find.

It's easy enough to find a Chinese English dictionary but I like to keep everything Chinese. I look something up, I get an explanation in Chinese, if the explanation has a word I don't know, I look that up too...in Chinese. Sometimes though I literally end up back to the original word going round in circles.