Chinese-Forums

Muslim Cold Noodle Recipe

安克锐

There are lots of local variations of this dish. In the version you have in mind, Is the beef boiled, stewed or roasted before being added to the noodles? Where did you have it (what part of China?) It's more popular in the north than in the south. 

The most common way to make it is with "plain-boiled beef" 白切牛肉。Use a method for the beef similar to the one described here: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/57044-yunnan-flavors-beef-with-mint-薄荷牛肉米线/ 

Instead of mixing the beef with noodles in a soup, boil the noodles, let them come to room temperature and mix them with the beef. Often the cool room temperature noodles are tossed with sesame oil. Your photo shows cucumbers, tomatoes and thin-sliced carrots as well. It might have garlic that we can't see, or it might just be served with a couple cloves of raw garlic to nibble on the side. Looks like it is garnished with toasted sesame seeds. 

Here's a recipe I found on-line that looks somewhat similar. Have not tried making it and cannot vouch for it. Nothing you find on line or in a cookbook will be exactly like the one you remember. You will need to make modifications; you will need to fiddle with it until it tastes and looks the way you want. 

http://www.meishij.net/zuofa/liangbanniurou_7.html 

(If you need it translated, let us know.) 

4be00e8e1d1b531a80c3fd6cfe9423ea.thumb.jpg.d0eddfe7578d7b9dbb8e5d372c30cf55.jpg

I share your appreciation for 凉面。This dish is my go-to when I visit a 兰州拉面noodle shop.  The shops in Henan were not always prepared to make it in the winter, and I wondered if I wasn't putting them out a bit by ordering it in the winter so I reined in my habit a bit. (I was the only customer getting it, and it took a long time , so I wondered if perhaps they were less prepared to make it?)  So delicious ?, the heartburn from all that tasty vinegar, though... ?

• Like 1