Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
ParkeNYU

Cantonese phonetic IME (no Romanisation or 注音)

ParkeNYU

So I had this idea to simply use 反切 principles for a Cantonese phonetic input method, in this case [initial]+[final]([+tone]). There's no need to learn any new phonetic symbols, nor is there a need to fight over different Romanisations. If you're literate in Cantonese, you're already set to go.

spacer.png

If the IME guesses your intended character correctly in the candidate window, there's no need to even enter a tone. Tones 7 and 8 are merged into one button because, short of 必 (whose expected reflex would have otherwise been 'bat1' anyway), it doesn't really cause any common conflations (必 only competes with the less common 彆/憋/鱉). If your sentences are basic and predictable, you can get away with only two keystrokes per character; with three keystrokes per character, you'll have a very high degree of accuracy. The positions of the tone keys are based on the traditional 'four corner' method of marking the four Chinese tones (here split into eight by register).

• Like 1

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Tomsima

Only just saw this, as usual love seeing your projects. Is there a working android version to try out by any chance?

ParkeNYU

Glad you like it! Unfortunately, I need the help of a programmer first... 😕

ParkeNYU

I've updated and simplified this design to weed out redundancies, although a few minor conflations have arisen as a result (e.g. [肆] key for 四/試 and [名] key for 食/石). Finals that are not possible with certain initial consonants will be greyed out and unusable for those syllables, and different final keys will appear based on the initial chosen (though the layout remains consistent as no key is relocated). [SHIFT] skips the initial consonant and jumps straight to the finals (i.e. a null initial). Tones are optional, as usual, and are greyed out at the beginning of a syllable's construction. As before, you can type as fast as two keystrokes per character for medium accuracy or three keystrokes per character for maximum accuracy. I am considering providing an option that would allow a user to hold down certain final keys to force an alternative output for even more accuracy (like splitting [肆] into 四/試, [名] into 食/石, and [陰入] into 必/彆), but I cannot think of a scenario in which this would be necessary, as context and frequency will guide the IME to the desired characters in most cases. Syllabic nasals like 唔 and 五 can be entered by typing either [馬][唔] and [牙][吳], respectively (essentially double-tapping the same key), or otherwise [SHIFT][唔] and [SHIFT][吳], respectively.

spacer.png

(CLICK ON THE IMAGE)