Chinese-Forums

Selecting a wok 炒锅

DavyJonesLocker

My wok is black. It was black new and it’s the same colour now. No scratches etc. I don’t have a photo right now. It doesn’t seem very non-stick but it also doesn’t look like a stainless steel one. Any idea? 

I'm not sure, @ChTTay -- Don't mean this to sound like a Smart Alek reply, but outside of stainless steel 不锈钢, I don't think I've ever seen a wok that wasn't black, except for a dark gray speckled one.  So black as a color doesn't narrow it down much. 

Be glad to make a guess from a photo at some later time. 

OK just an  update from me. 

A world of a difference from the old Wok to the new . Literally no sticking of the food, this includes western style foods like curry, chilli con carne, spaghetti bol,  Etc

Old wok was long overdue  for the bin.

3 other points to note. 

1) the larger wok 32cm (I had a 30cm before) is a lot better as it's not just about the quantity of food that decides the size, it allows you to mix the food in a very casual manner without throwing it all over the work surface .

2) like @abcdefg noted a quick wipe with oil and kitchen paper when you have cleaned it and heated it back up for a few seconds, makes a bit of difference I reckon.

3) heaver is better, retains the heat and doesn't move about on the gas stove as much 

Overall, 100% happy.. money will spend.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2018 at 3:43 PM, DavyJonesLocker said:

2) like @abcdefg noted a quick wipe with oil and kitchen paper when you have cleaned it and heated it back up for a few seconds, makes a bit of difference I reckon.

This morning I re-read the list of tips on caring for a non-stick wok or pan that I posted earlier up-thread. They have the ring of authority, like Moses and the Ten Commandments. But I feel compelled to point out (should have done it earlier) that they are based on shaky science at best or none at all. 

The problem is that most such advice, from which my list was synthesized, don't take great pains to identify the exact type of pan surface they are trying to preserve and protect. The "non-stick" pan in year 2018 is not a homogenous affair: there are a dozen different kinds, many combinations of basic materials and coatings. All are sold as "non-stick" 不粘。

A test of "Pan A" made of such and such a metal and coated with such and such a chemical substance, applied by such and such a method, might require different care from "Pan B" or "Pan C." So you wind up with advice similar to what might happen if you did a read on "how to repair my car's carburetor" with nothing being said about whether it was for a Ford or for a Toyota. 

So take all such lists, even mine, with a few grains of salt. They are rough and approximate guidelines at best.  

I completely agree. And rubbing around a little oil before starting cooking with the non-stick pan seems also to be universally advised, regardless of the pan's actual composition. 

• 3 months later...

Thought I might update this post. I have been using the wok practically everyday since I first bought it using it brought for chinese and western food.

Really good investment. Simple to clean . The lid with a handle than allows it to  stand vertically is a great addition. 

I finally dumped my flat frying 平底锅 and bought a new one. They old one was too cheap, material too thin thus got  bent out of shape from the heat. False economy. Again I bought a superior brand, 200kuai which was much cheaper than the supermarket! I opted for the 28cm rather than opt for 30cm like my old one. Reason being that I use a flat base one far less now given I have the wok. Finally I can fry chicken wings without them sticking!

• Like 1

@Davey -- I use one of those too for chicken wings. Real handy. One lesson I learned the hard way about this pan was to not run cold water in it immediately after cooking with it. Let it cool on its own a minute or two first. The temperature shock can warp the skillet and give it an uneven base. The other thing I routinely do is add a little oil to the skillet right at the first, before it gets real hot. Spread it around with a piece of paper towel. Reason being is that most "non-stick coatings" are really "not-stick-very-much" and a small amount of cooking oil increases their efficiency a great deal. The manufacturers sometimes don't like to tell you that.  

Agree with you that 28 cm is usually OK. Mine is non-stick; assume yours is too. 不粘平底锅。

Glad your wok has worked out well! I'm currently in the US with no time to work up and post recipes. If you make something that turns out particularly nice, hope you will snap some photos and write it up for the forum!