Chinese-Forums

Cantonese for Beginners

smilingdodo

Let the author of the post at the following link be your guru. Best advice I have for you is to follow him: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/34107-what-level-of-chinese-can-you-achieve-outside-of-china/?do=findComment&comment=255527

Best bookstore is Greenwood Press http://www.green-woodpress.com/products_list.php?iscantonese=1 .

Also, Study Chinese Culture and China Sprout.

The indispensable online dictionary is Cantodict. The Android version of Cantodict is Hanping Cantonese Dictionary. It is not available on iOS. Must have.

Also: Chinese Text Analyser (but you must provide it a Cantonese dictionary), Pleco (with Cantonese dictionaries), Anki, etc. I have always used Wenlin as my text editor, but it doesn't know Cantonese. 

Online, I like CantoneseClass101. Some complain about the authenticity of the upper levels, but through Intermediate it seems good (my teacher agrees).

In my opinion, mandatory for almost everyone is a legit heavyweight reason to study this, like a Cantonese speaking loved one.

If you don't have such a reason, good luck.

If you *do* have such a reason, good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smilingdodo said:

And, do you know any interesting Cantonese-language movies or tv series?

Lots and lots of great Hong Kong movies were shot in Cantonese. Should not be difficult to find some that you find appealing. 

• Thanks 1