Chinese-Forums

Need papers that talk about teaching 口语

hoshinoumi

Hi everyone! I'm working on my final masters' paper which focuses on how 口语 is taught in classical textbooks. I need as many papers as possible. Please tell me the titles of papers that deal with teaching 口语 (papers in English, Chinese or Spanish). Papers dealing with the speaking ability in a foreign language in general would also be appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

There are probably better ways to approach your research than crowd sourcing your search for articles. Saying this as someone who is currently in China writing a master's thesis, I can relate.

First of all, you are in China. Your university likely has a subscription to 中国知网 which provides access to most all Chinese academic journals. You might also have access to other sites that are likely linked through your schools (look for 电子资源). My school provides a lot of access to international journals through the portal site http://blyun.com

Secondly, you should be looking in the deep web of conversation that revolves around your topic. Look, extensively, at the abstracts and cited works sections of many papers on your topic. Find the papers that those researching the same topic are all reading. Read those. Develop an opinion and start branching out, slowly.

Once you find the influential pieces, read intensively. Understand there research methods, both what makes them unique and successful, as well as their restrictions and short comings (often a result of external circumstances like time, money, and research-subject's willingness).

Lastly, when you say classical, do you mean books that teach classical Chinese or books that teaching in a classical style? I'm assuming the latter since you are looking for papers (and here I further assume journals) on teaching oral Chinese. As such, I have a lot to say on your choice of words as "classical textbooks" is a very strange term to use in China, especially considering that when many researchers in China refer to "traditional teaching methods" (and in turn the textbooks related to them) they are often referring to Communicative Language Teaching, a relatively new teaching method and seen as progressive in many western journals. Then there is the more "traditional" teaching methods like Grammar-translation which is what many others, Chinese and non-Chinese researchers, are referring to with the term. My point is, Classical, like Traditional, is a hard term to pin down. There are more precise words that will serve your research better in the same way that "western" is rarely a sufficiently accurate term in academic work. To me this says you are likely in the early stages of your research but that contrasts with your saying "I'm working on my final masters' paper" so I'm a little confused here.

• Helpful 1

Presumably one of the learning outcomes of your masters programme is demonstrating the ability to perform a literature search...?

If you have a VPN then a quick search of scholar.google.com for "teaching  口语" produces quite a few hits for papers in English (or at least, it does here in Singapore).

• Like 1