Chinese-Forums

What should I do with a Shiyuanzi Boboji?

Rromu

• New Members

Hi there,

I started to learn to cook some Chinese dishes.

So I've ordered a few things I needed From Starrymart.

However I made a mistake and ordered something I've no idea what to do with it!

I was after some Szechuan Peppercorn and I ordered instead: Shiyuanzi Boboji - Hot Pot Condiment

https://starrymart.co.uk/shiyuanzi-boboji-hot-pot-condiment-green-szechuan-peppercorn-flavour-320g.html

So it looks like it is something for some kind of Chinese hotpot?

I don't want to return it, can someone explain me how am I supposed to use this?

There is a bag of oil, a bag of sesame seeds and what it looks like to be a bag of salt (see picture)?

Is that to cook some kind of Pho?

Any url, recipe, videos, guide would help :D

Thanks!

IMG_20181006_121745 (1).jpg

Hello @Rromu and welcome. 

14 hours ago, Rromu said:

So it looks like it is something for some kind of Chinese hotpot?

Yes, that's exactly what it is. Basically, you put these into a pot of stock and when it boils add thin cut vegetables and meat. They cook very fast; you add them a little at a time. You lift them out with your chopsticks and dip them in a sauce. Eat these fresh-cooked items alongside a bowl of steamed rice. Very popular in China. It's mainly a dish you eat with friends or family, not solo. 

Your spice packages look like they were intended to use with chicken, rather than beef, pork or lamb. Probably makes no real difference, however. 钵钵鸡

I just now found 10 or 12 recipes on line as well as half a dozen videos. Simply type "how to make Chinese hotpot" into Google. 

Return after you have had a look at some of these and I'll be glad to help you with any parts that are unclear. After you have tried making it, I'll be glad to help you overcome any trouble spots you might encounter.  

It does require a little bit of equipment: a hot plate or induction cooker and a low-walled pot to set on it. You put these on the dining table and cook the food there as you eat it, a little at a time, instead of making it in advance on a kitchen stove. 

• Helpful 1

This is a pretty good rundown on ingredients, method and equipment from a reliable English-language cooking blog:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-make-chinese-hot-pot-at-home-guide.html 

139403572_20141125-hot-pot-guide-shao-zhong-02burnerpluspot.thumb.jpg.fb789ef29743910b4450e519affcf1b5.jpg   1903148568_20141125-hot-pot-guide-shao-zhong-13--seriouseats1.thumb.jpg.93a3cb364f8e7b7a872df9c7e6de847a.jpg

An electric cooker is more popular than gas among my local Chinese friends for home use. (Gas more often in restaurants.) I eat this every week or two. 

28 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

I bought an actual dedicated 电火锅 but doesn't have the 2 sections .

That's really all that's needed. 

The old night watchman 看门人 of my housing complex and his wife are from Chongqing. He just turned 70. They have kind of adopted me and invite me for Chongqing style hotpot every couple weeks. Their pot is a single one which they set on an induction hot plate 电磁炉。They always cook the meats first, followed by the vegetables. Often there is fensi noodles 粉丝 or fentiao 粉条 as well. Sometimes potatoes, sometimes lotus root. 

The meat is chunks, beef or pork, not thin sliced, and usually cheap cuts. They pre-cook it to the tender point in a pressure cooker beforehand. I often bring a bottle of 白酒 booze as a table gift. His grown sons and their young children join us and it's a festive occasion. Watermelon after. They set up a card table outdoors in the parking lot. Good thing, too, since it often makes a big mess.  

• Like 1

It's called 鴛鴦火鍋. One section is spicy, the other non spicy. The divider is usually S-shaped, so the whole thing looks kinda like a Yin Yang symbol. :)

It's quite popular, because people often have different levels of tolerance for spiciness even among family members.

Hotpod01.thumb.jpg.492ddc0b4bb5105e048a569a8904c0d9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Good point, @Publius -- If I were going to buy one, I would go for one of those with the "yin/yang" divider. But I usually cook for one or two, and frankly, even though hot pot is generally written up as being simple, I think it's too much trouble unless you have more mouths to feed. 

My old night watchman friend and his family, all from Chongqing, only know one level of spiciness: Fiery Ma-La Hot! If it doesn't make beads of sweat pop out on your forehead, you haven't done it right. 

I started to learn to cook some Chinese dishes.

BTW, @Rromu -- We have an active cooking thread here on Chinese-forums. Would invite you to have a look, ask questions and make contributions as your Chinese cooking progresses.

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/52430-alphabetical-index-of-food-articles/ 

1 hour ago, Publius said:

It's called 鴛鴦火鍋. One section is spicy, the other non spicy. The divider is usually S-shaped, so the whole thing looks kinda like a Yin Yang symbol. :)

It's quite popular, because people often have different levels of tolerance for spiciness even among family members.

Hotpod01.thumb.jpg.492ddc0b4bb5105e048a569a8904c0d9.jpg

I go to a local Taiwanese hotpot restaurant in Beijing. It's really good but I wonder is there  any difference between a Chinese and Taiwanese one. The one I go too seems to use very little oil even in the spicy dishes which suits my liking .

The even have four section options (I.e. quadrants)IMG_20180922_205030.thumb.jpg.88027bc4b7eae99d1d51229aaf14af28.jpg

I tried the tomato and lotus options this time. 

What I like about this one is that the actual hotpot base flavour is good and quite strong so really not a lot of need for adding a lot of extra sauces. 

The chicken intestines (or was it duck? I have forgotten) are visually off-putting but quite good

IMG_20180922_204250.jpg

IMG_20180922_205102.jpg

IMG_20180901_210901.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good! What is hanging on the rack in the last photo? Doesn't look like noodles. Please tell me it's not duck intestines. (My Chongqing friends love 鸭肠 as a hotpot ingredient.) China's love of various assorted offal is a custom I still have not adopted. 

1 hour ago, abcdefg said:

What is hanging on the rack in the last photo? Doesn't look like noodles. Please tell me it's not duck intestines. 

70% sure it was chicken intestines but could have been duck, forgotten. Will be going back soon so will have a check.

I tried them and thought not bad but nothing to encourage me getting them again. Not very flavoursome 

• Like 1

• New Members

Awesome, thanks guys for all these info and pictures.

Not sure about that last picture though, haha!

I don't have a "pot" right now, so I might try to do a soup of some kind with these ingredients.

Even though, I'm tempted to buy one later, all this looks great.

You're welcome. Would invite you to stick around and try some other recipes that don't require special equipment. 

On 10/7/2018 at 9:38 AM, abcdefg said:

BTW, @Rromu -- We have an active cooking thread here on Chinese-forums. Would invite you to have a look, ask questions and make contributions as your Chinese cooking progresses.

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/52430-alphabetical-index-of-food-articles/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely looks like intestines to me!

I love hot pot. I've had it three times this week.  A 电磁炉 was one of the first things I bought when I got to China. The big restaurant here is 海底捞, which has the quadrant pot and is famous for its service.

20171218141546_10.thumb.jpg.0210202126e4df7be070315941e6924a.jpg

Of course, it's 麻辣 or nothing for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abcdefg said:

That looks like quite an impressive spread, Alex. 

While that pic is off Baidu, the quadrant is pretty popular. It's actually pretty useful for me as they only have one soup base which is vegetarian and the meat eaters often want a meat-based non-spicy and spicy. This way, I can request a vegetarian quadrant without making them give up their choices.