Chinese-Forums

粉蒸排骨 (+土豆) very simple dish

DavyJonesLocker

Just tried this today. Quite nice actually and dead simple to make. 

Recipie is here  I checked two supermarkets but couldn't find the 粉蒸肉料包 (basically the prepared sauce and ground rice coating) although I wasn't convinced I was looking in the right section. Found it by accident in those small table stalls the have outside supermarkets. Usually I ignore them. In any case it's available on 京东, 淘宝  etc. 6 or 7 kuai is all I paid. They had two versions spicy or no spice (as it 辣椒). The lady suggested I opt for the non spicy one given it was 川菜) I also bought a jar of some type of 辣椒酱 which complemented it really well. A large desert spoonful only made it 微辣. Meat was very tender and potatoes nice flavour

Recommend it , simplest dish I have done so far. Only tip I recommend is watch the water doesn't boil out of your steamer as it takes an hour to steam .

I think it perhaps beef chunks or lean pork cubes might be better as given its a steamed dish I'm not overly fond of wet or fatty meat if you know what I mean. Strips of meat wouldn't be ideal as you need space for the coating to expand out. Not sure what the traditional method is. 

One other great aspect is the washing up is minimal ?

IMG_20181006_204139.jpg

IMG_20181006_212407.jpg

IMG_20181006_213516.jpg

Edited by DavyJonesLocker
  • Like 1

Looks real good! I have eaten this when in Chengdu, but I never thought to try making it at home. Steaming is such a great, overlooked home cooking hack. As you pointed out, has the huge added benefit of minimal cleanup. 

10 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

I think it perhaps beef chunks or lean pork cubes might be better as given its a steamed dish I'm not overly fond of wet or fatty meat if you know what I mean.

I don't think cubes of beef would get tender unless they were pre-cooked before being coated and put into the steamer. But I haven't tried it myself; could be wrong. 

Cold weather is approaching; it's good to have some recipes for hearty food like this. Thanks!

1 hour ago, abcdefg said:

I don't think cubes of beef would get tender unless they were pre-cooked before being coated and put into the steamer. But I haven't tried it myself; could be wrong.

Yeah your probably right actually. Some of the beef I bought here is pretty tough. However it does great it a western slow cooked casserole. Steaming mightn't be the way to go

• Like 1