Chinese-Forums

Want an S2 visa but no direct family members

Solid-Aaron

• New Members

My son's grandparents are Chinese residents so he gets an S2 visa, he is 3 years old.  Me and my childs mother are not married

I am told by the issuing officer that I can not apply for the S2 visa because I have no direct family. 

Is this correct?

According to the Visa website -

" (S2)Family member of foreigner(s) staying or residing in China for work, study or other purposes who visit China for less than 180 days,(S2)Applying for a visa to stay in China for other personal matters, such as handling litigation, inheritance, real estate or medical treatment "

"Did you go to the Chinese embassy in your country?"

Presumably that's the "issuing officer" he talked with.

"Why not just apply for tourist visa?"

The S2 visa usually permits a longer stay than a tourist visa. And for some non-Western nationalities, tourist visas aren't obtained that easily.

But since the father's not married to the mother, her parents aren't really his in-laws, so it's not surprising the consul isn't considering them all "family." Actually, I'd be pretty surprised if any consul anywhere did treat him as "family" in this context. Marriage counts when it comes to visas.

• Thanks 1