Chinese-Forums

Transferring money from China to the US

bobbyd

This is not a question where there is a sense of urgency, rather one where it would be nice to find to cheapest option that is obviously legal and doesn't require jumping through a lot of hoops. Assuming there is not a simple WeChat app for transferring funds from a Chinese bank account to the US, what is the best way to do this even if it requires opening up a second bank account in China? Ideally, it would be nice to transfer these funds every two months to a BoA or Cap One account. 

Please let me know if you have any ideas, and thanks!

If you were going to be flying back with less than 10,000 USD then I would say just take the cash with you and put it in your carry-on luggage. That is what I do. But since you have more, you have to go through the conventional route, go to a bank like Bank of China, ICBC, etc., and do a normal bank transfer. There is a fee.

You can also try mailing international money orders, which you can get at the Chinese Post Office Bank. I have done this too. But you have to send them to a person not a bank (so you need a trustworthy person like your brother or whoever). But you should not send more than a certain amount in a week.

17 hours ago, bobbyd said:

Please let me know if you have any ideas, and thanks!

@bobbyd -- You are new here, and you are very welcome to participate. We would all like to help you. But now is the time to form good habits. First DO A SEARCH. The search box is in the upper-right corner of the page. It's easier to use on a computer than on a mobile phone. 

Your question has been asked and answered over a hundred times in the last few years. (I checked just now.) Lots of good information there. Review it first on your own, then post if you find some parts of it unclear or not applicable to your particular situation for some reason. 

Thanks!

• Like 1