Chinese-Forums

Will my self harm scars have my visa and resident permit rejected?

HirAngel

• New Members

I'm going to my doctor next week for my physical exam and although there is no mention of depression or anxiety on the forbidden physical exam form I know I'll have to take of my cloths and wear a hospital robe and i know my doctor will see the scars because they are pale than lines on my upper arms and slightly thick lines on my legs (not on the thighs). Will be question me? It only asks about toxic mania, and about different types of psychosis on the form. I'm so worried.

Is my visa going to be rejected? And if my visa is accepted I'll have to take another exam in china for resident permit. So will that be rejected? Please reply asap!

• Good question! 1

China is still a little behind in terms of mental health acceptance. I would tell the doctor you were attacked/mugged a few years ago if asked, to be on the safe side. Then, I'd consider if the stresses of moving to a foreign country would cause any regression into depression that you've worked hard to put behind you.

Best of luck and welcome to the forums!?

• Like 1

Could you say they are caused by a medical problem in the past that has since been resolved? That way you don't have to lie (which a mugging story would be). Although I am not sure whether the doctor would then pry further into what kind of medical issue.

4 hours ago, HirAngel said:

Will be question me? It only asks about toxic mania, and about different types of psychosis on the form. I'm so worried.

I can foresee that being a problem to be honest and if you are intend on coming to China then I think you will have to play this down a lot or simply answer no! How you do that is up to you. During the physical I don't think you can outright lie as its obvious it was self inflicted, right? However perhaps you can say it was a crazy period you went through in your life and its long in the past. Just brush it off as young and dumb not elaborate too much on it

It's really up to you, honesty is not always the best course to get what you want (whether we think it should be or not). However just on the off chance you do still have mental issues, you should try mentally prepare yourself for China. It's not a easy place to come to but can/will  certainly a good life experience!

4 hours ago, HirAngel said:

And if my visa is accepted I'll have to take another exam in china for resident permit. So will that be rejected? Please reply asap!

Thats simple, you don't take off your clothes, they even xray you through your T-shirt. Just pushed abruptly pushed from room to room and get stabbed in the arm with a needle for a blood sample. They don't ask you any questions is the two times I had it . You do fill out a form on mental issues so big X where the no is. 

• Helpful 1

I don't think it will be an issue. I wouldn't lie about how the scars got there though. Any competent doctor will know even without you saying. If they don't ask, don't say anything. If they do ask, just say it was from years ago and play it down.

Do you 100% need the medical in your home country?

If not, do it in China. No robes. You just walk to different rooms with a stream of others being tested (eyes, blood, ultrasound, etc).

When I arrived here, admittedly some time ago, if you had a home country medical you had to get it authorised in the same hospital that people did the check ups. 

Maybe it's too late to look into it but not sure. Thought i'd mention it.  

• 3 months later...