Chinese-Forums

金庸 has passed away aged 94

imron

Anna Holmwood has just done the first of the Condor heroes series, think she's due to do the rest: https://qz.com/quartzy/1125004/jin-yongs-epic-condor-trilogy-the-lord-of-the-rings-of-chinese-literature-is-finally-being-translated-into-english/

John Minford did the Deer and the Cauldron a while back.

First one I read in Chinese was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Volant_of_the_Snowy_Mountain which it says has an English translation I've not seen. It has the advantage of being quite short, only read a couple of others so not really best placed to recommend it on other grounds over any other!

• Helpful 2

Just stumbled across this from March 2018: https://youtu.be/M-zafHs66Qw 

Audio is rather distorted, unfortunately.

This event celebrated a new transition of Jing Yong, a house-hold name throughout East Asia. Anna Holmwood, the translator of Jin Yong’s A Hero Born: Legends of the Condor Heroes, shared her discovery of Jin Yong and the challenge of translating his masterpiece. Dr Xiaoning Lu, Lecturer in Modern Chinese Culture and Language at SOAS, University of London, and Soo Cole, the co-founder and director of Fighting Spirit Film Festival also joined the conversation discussing the influences of Jing Yong's works. Watch the video to hear more of how Jin Yong’s works have inspired people around the world, and what this new translation could mean for the English-speaking world

Fox Volant of Snowy Mountain is the one I've read, in translation. The translation is not that great, but I loved the book. I'd read that one and The Deer and the Cauldron and only start on the Condor series once the translation is finished, to make sure you can read on.

I am a bit saddened by this news, but not very, since 94 really is a ripe old age.

• Like 2

R.I.P.

I really enjoyed reading the Condor Heroes. I believe that it was my first long novel in Chinese, and remember how much fun I had reading it. There was no translation at the time, and I was fighting my way through it with help of a fan translation that somebody put up online as a collaborative effort (seriously, the Internet can be saw awesome sometimes). It opened up this whole new fantasy world, that was not available to most of my friends or acquaintances at that time.

Sad to see him go, but like Lu says, 94 is a fine age.