Chinese-Forums

Listening, very very confused

hong long

Hi everyone,

I have been studying Chinese for a year, i have HSK 2 at the Confucius Institute of Bologna Italy.

I would like to improve my chinese listening, but i'm very confused because i don't know how i have to begin.

Everything seems too difficult, podcasts, cartoons, manga, tv series, films, cctv. Perhaps my level is too low.

When i see a tv serie, for example, is better with eng, ita or ch subtitle?

What do you raccomend to start with? I should have an hour a day for listening.

Many thanks 

红龙

At HSK 2  (300 words right?) native material will be inappropriate. 

However the Chinese breeze series is good. You could also try Chinese pod . They have a huge amount of lessons .

The Chinese Graded reader series (PLECO version much easier to use) is not bad. The stories are quite lengthy however they all seem to be focusing  the same theme and a little dull. 

It is important to find the right level of difficulty when listening otherwise it becomes quite a chore. Plenty of great posts on this website. 

One way to make sure the material is at the appropriate level is to use a text book that comes with audio. I use New Practical Chinese Reader and there are CDs included that have listening exercises that match each lesson, the new word list and more. 

There are also videos on YouTube that go with each lesson, 2 per lesson as with the audio. 

I agree that you should achieve a certain level of comprehension before moving on, but also I like to sometimes just have some Chinese audio or TV on in the background just to tune my ear in to the rhythm and cadence of the language, if you understand a couple of words or phrases it can feel quite rewarding and is encouraging.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much to all.

@Ninjia: these videos seems better, obviosly i don't understand all they seems easyer.

@ Davy. thanks for chinese breeze, for youtube I think is possible to download MP3 file and listens it with VLC

@ Apollis: it is true try to understand something more difficult, the problem is understood if it is not too difficult  

@ My textbook has a CD for dialogues and words every lesson, but the quality is very poor, I'll take a look at your text book and cd

A friend of mine suggests me to see Mo dao zu shi Manga or Meteor garden tv series but I think they are a bit difficult .....

If someone have some other advice or links in this forum......

谢谢 红龙

On 10/31/2018 at 12:37 PM, DavyJonesLocker said:

It's easy to jump back 10 secs or so, slow down, speed up the audio with a shortcut key, without interrupting the flow of the audio too much. This assumes you have the MP3 file, movie file, streaming already . Not useful for youtube though

Youtube has speed controls these days :)  There are also plenty of websites that will allow you to download youtube content as audio or video, and then you can playback, loop, slow down etc using VLC, Audacity or your favourite audio tool.

It just keeps getting better!

On 10/31/2018 at 12:37 PM, DavyJonesLocker said:

As for how to listen, i find using audio material with VLC player on PC very efficient. It's easy to jump back 10 secs or so, slow down, speed up the audio with a shortcut key, without interrupting the flow of the audio too much. This assumes you have the MP3 file, movie file, streaming already . Not useful for youtube though

youtube : back arrow = jump back 5 seconds

• Helpful 1

• New Members

Hello, for your case, believe it's about the method when you do Chinese listening practices?

When you do your study, you can try audio learning.

The suggestion is: 

Learn with textbooks, along with audio. When you're learning a new text, fist, start with listening to the text once, then read and learn the new words. Finally, listen to the audio once more, without reading the text. Translate the context to yourself to ensure all is well understood. Then, you may then go for the listening exercises of that text (usually textbooks come with workbook which has listening practices), and should find that easier. Repeat this method whenever a new text comes by, and in time, your listening skill should improve.

Regarding the TV and cartoons, believe you can leave that later until you're upper beginner level. But you can check this out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCipQJmg3yqouy6MRtPv_0Bg, as they have many beginner level's stories and songs.

• Helpful 1

If you don't mind paying I've been using Chinesepod and find it useful. I normally wait for some promo code or discount but they have quite a few free lessons that you might be able to try. There are quite a few free lessons from them on youtube and also apple podcast https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/chinesepod/id914400734?mt=2