Chinese-Forums

QQ wechat

withnoteeth

Hi,

Just a question about visa z and wechat QQ. My girlfriend is chinese living in China and me from Australia living in Australia now (two girls). We use wechat, QQ for talking or video, we sometimes talk about sex and we talk during a shower (so no clothes and we can see it on the wechat screen and qq screen (no sex video tape, just nude like in the chinese spa haha)). This is just between us. Well, I think I can trust her. Could I still get my visa z? Is this kind of video and two girls love conversation could be bad for getting my visa z, for my future in china or my work in china ?

Sorry for such weird topic

Thank you for your help

2 naked girls girls talking in a shower?  And noting your username I'm suspecting a troll post? ? (Seems like the wrong site of choice for such shenanigans )

Even if it isn't, I am sure you are not the first couple to have intimate chats over video in China  

I think there is little danger to your getting a visa if talking in the nude on video is all you do.

However, if you irritate the Chinese government in other ways (LGBT activism, pro-Tibetan activism, working for an NGO the government disagrees with, you name it), these videos could get you in trouble. Chinese companies generally don't keep secrets from the government, so these video chats are kept somewhere. But as long as nobody is interested in you or your girlfriend, they will not surface.

Make me afraid. I would like to live a long time in China but looks like it's better to stay out of China with such situation. 

Is The government record even if I live in Australia? Could I change my wechat (maybe they don't track if I change ID)? What could I do to go back and try to escape this kind of troubles?! hahaha

Maybe big city are more open-minded...

• 3 months later...

Dangerous: no. The government will still not come after you for kissing a woman. Stay out of trouble generally and you will be fine.

Being a lesbian and having a lesbian relationship is not illegal in China. Hence, being a lesbian in a lesbian relationship will generally not get you in trouble. It is not dangerous in itself.

Your lesbian relationship might be an issue if you get in trouble in another way. So make sure you don't. Don't go to protests, don't be an activist, make sure your visa situation is as it should be (no working illegally), don't get into drunk fistfights, don't flirt with someone else's girlfriend which may lead to drunk fistfights. Even for straight people, it is better to avoid these things.

A more relevant question is whether it will get you in trouble at your job, especially if you work with kids. To be honest, I don't know. I think most parents won't care that much if you have a steady relationship with a person who happens to be a woman, but I am not sure what attitudes are in practice. If I were in your shoes, I think I would step back in the closet for a bit at work, until you're sure that your work place is okay with lesbians. And try and avoid doing your kissing in public, where parents or colleagues (or students) might see you. (This also goes for straight people though.)

Weibo is public, so yes, your work or other people may find it. Talk about this with your girlfriend.

Wechat and QQ are not public. The government can probably access your chats there, but since there are over a billion people in China, it is very, very unlikely that anyone is following your conversations in real time. They might look for them if you get in trouble in some other way, or if you start talking about sensitive subjects in these chats.

From what you say, you by nature are a discreet person when it comes to your relationship, but your partner by nature isn't. In a world enveloped by social media -- where WeChat and weibo and qq are just a few of the available channels -- this is problematical. Unless you sort things out early with your partner and are confident things will stay sorted out, this could give you real headaches down the road.

• Helpful 1