Chinese-Forums

Qingdao or Kunming?

Ele

7 hours ago, XiaoXi said:

...my god, quite a lot for someone who claims to not feel the cold!

I feel the cold all right. My point was that I just use slightly different coping strategies here from what I would back in the US.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:32 PM, abcdefg said:

Not that I've noticed while just going about my daily outside activities. This includes riding my bike on the streets. Don't think I can ever remember saying to myself, "Oh the weather quality is so foul today, I'd rather not go out." 

I think by air quality he was referring to pollution. Kunming is one of the best cities in China for pollution, going out shouldn't be much of an issue and perhaps you won't need to invest in an air purifier like you would for Beijing or something. However, it's still at least as bad as somewhere like New York so still might not want to open the windows too often. A quick check shows for today New York at about 30 to 50, Kunming at 55 to 90 or so and London about 65 to 80.

I agree with abc - you learn coping mechanisms. It snowed several inches and the temperature dropped down below zero here in Hangzhou, but I have no heat, I can fit a pencil between my window and its frame, and there seem to be mysterious breezes blowing from random spots in the house. I wear fingerless gloves while typing and try to keep something hot next to me to warm up my fingers, and now I sometimes wear two pairs of socks. Never had to do this when I went to college in upstate New York, but you deal with it. Builds character!

?

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, Alex_Hart said:

I agree with abc - you learn coping mechanisms.

Yes you can learn coping mechanisms for anything, the point is....well what's the point? Why have no heating when clearly if you're typing wearing gloves you surely need heating...not sure why this is so difficult to understand. In the US you don't need any coping strategies because they just have heating. Not sure what's so illogical about that and why it's so logical to instead wear a coat and gloves in the house.

Not to mention it's not good for health to wear thick layers all the time, it can encourage fungal infections, rashes etc. It's much better to have a moderate heating setting with radiators. Air conditioner is also bad since it makes the air very dry and particularly in China it's sending all the pollution right into your house.

I agree with abc - you learn coping mechanisms. It snowed several inches and the temperature dropped down below zero here in Hangzhou, but I have no heat, I can fit a pencil between my window and its frame, and there seem to be mysterious breezes blowing from random spots in the house. I wear fingerless gloves while typing and try to keep something hot next to me to warm up my fingers, and now I sometimes wear two pairs of socks.

Since you lack heating and have overcome it, maybe you can do some other things to 'build character' or to put 'hairs on your chest'. Like for example you could sell your mobile phone! Just shout out the window instead like Rocky.

Or you could take a pay cut! That way it will be harder to make ends meat but hey it builds character! Maybe you could sell your computer's hard drive and swap it out for a smaller one! It will encourage you to be more efficient!

Or you could do something that actually does help...you know like exercise or something lol.

Never had to do this when I went to college in upstate New York, but you deal with it. Builds character!

Well no, that's the difference between developed and non developed countries I guess.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:18 PM, Alex_Hart said:

there seem to be mysterious breezes blowing from random spots in the house.

Could be convection currents within the room. I have had this before when the room temperature is higher than the wall temperature. The wall cools the room air next to the wall.

• Like 1