Chinese-Forums

The difference between 问问, 问一问 和 问一下。

ChengYaXin

• New Members

I’m now confusing about doubling the same verb in the same sentence, 动词+一+动词 and verb together with 一下。

And I want to differentiate between those forms clearly. 

For example, 你问问老师。, 你问一问 and 你问一下老师。 

• Good question! 1

Someone will hopefully give you a more rigorous answer, but for me these are basically all the same.  I'd use them all equivalently as a less formal version of 问 where a short length of time is also implied.  Having said that, I find 问一下 to be the most common, and I find the straight double repeat like 问问 to be a bit more cutesy, but that might just be me.

One thing you do have to worry about is where the 了 goes when using the past tense!

This probably isn't as instructive as you're hoping for, but stick around and someone should answer your questions.  Welcome to the forums!

To me, they're all good colloquial ways of saying the same thing, though I wouldn't be surprised if some forms are more popular regionally than others.

I'd also say that 问一下 is the most formal, 问一问 maybe not quite so, and as the poster above suggests, 问问 perhaps a bit cute in some contexts.

Nothing much too add but it seems to me that some verbs  warrant one form over another

For example I've only heard people say 等一下 rather than 等等, 等一等 etc

少等等 seems to have a touch of impatience about it, rather than 少等一下.

Don't take it as gospel though!