Chinese-Forums

Artwork translation from old Chinese to English

Amy861

踏雪尋梅庾嶺中 Walking in the snow in search of flowering plum in the Yu Mountain,

南北後先兩界分 South and north, early and late, it's like two different worlds.

庚辰程魯畫於珠山 Year 2000, Cheng Lu painted at Zhushan.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Make that 写於 .

Zhushan is a name for the ceramics village at Jingdezhen, and Cheng Lu was a well-known ceramics artist of the Republic era. If this is genuine, and so much so much is not, then the date would presumably be 1940.

Why we need to see the item itself, all sides!

• Helpful 2

If you write out the characters the stroke order for the character is obviously wrong. The writer is writing in a later running script style where the 聿 is being abbreviated to a similar way to writing 中, where the last stroke cuts though and down. 寫 doesn't do this even in later styles, as 宀 always writes the dot at the top first rather than last. I can understand why there's confusion, as the character in question is written in a bad mock-草書 style (ie. isn't modeled on a master), but I will ask my calligraphy teacher later for clarification

I still think it's 畫. To me the downward stroke that goes through the top 乛 is most significant. The shape is kind of like the top of . But unlike with 家, you don't go over the 冖 from below when writing 寫.

Compare 寫 http://sf.zdic.net/sf/cs/0917/d0b4255ef0441353bc95268d712d59d2.html

332872646_.thumb.png.347c4280d8b920ca0e1ad7a572f21346.png

and 畫 http://sf.zdic.net/sf/cs/0610/7dc9ca391528cecf2b82731e72f3bae6.html

1485831165_.thumb.png.1d8da089cf31f2109eafbd7b7c2ebd98.png

As for the final 一, it can be reduced to a 丶-like stroke. Also the writing surface is not ideal.

==========

In case the OP is distracted by this nerdy discussion: It doesn't change the meaning. :P

But in these 寫, that top middle stroke does extend right down through 冖:

http://imgditan.cang.com/201312/15/2013121511005411237287.jpg (NW corner)

http://5b0988e595225.cdn.sohucs.com/images/20180707/800f367ab9e34150bb7948ae05dfc41b.jpeg (NW corner)

Obviously, nothing representing either character seems to exactly match what the OP has. I don't know of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the OP has a modern factory copy made on an assembly line, and not by the hand of a famous and skilled artist.

I'll also mention that 珠山 inscriptions frequently, though not always, use 寫於, so there is a bit of hoofbeats in Central Park reasoning here.

hopefully this settles things; according to my teacher 程立雪 (a student of the well known contemporary calligraphy master 魯大東), the character is 畫.

Another thought that springs to mind: in the 落款 you wouldn't usually use 寫於, but much more commonly 書於 so that might be additional info to consider too.

S81112-08465568.jpg

S81112-084718(1).jpg

"Another thought that springs to mind: in the 落款 you wouldn't usually use 寫於, but much more commonly 書於 so that might be additional info to consider too."

But not in this particular context. See the links in my previous posts and Google 珠山八友. You'll find that this set of Jingdezhen artists very commonly -- though not always -- used  寫於珠山.