Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
NinjaTurtle

China ranked 47th in English proficiency,

NinjaTurtle

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201811120058.html

Ranking of major countries and regions in English proficiency

1 Sweden
2 Netherlands
3 Singapore
4 Norway
5 Denmark
6 South Africa
7 Luxembourg
8 Finland
9 Slovenia
10 Germany
30 Hong Kong
31 South Korea
32 Spain
34 Italy
35 France
42 Russia
47 China
48 Taiwan
49 Japan
53 Brazil
87 Iraq
88 Libya

(cont.)

• Like 2

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

NinjaTurtle
2 hours ago, mungouk said:

we discussed this at length

Actually, this present thread is about how badly things are going in China whereas the previous thread is about how well things are going in Singapore.

XiaoXi
6 hours ago, NinjaTurtle said:

Actually, this present thread is about how badly things are going in China whereas the previous thread is about how well things are going in Singapore.

Yes good point. Russia are somewhat awful too considering. I'd expect them to be better. China did better than Taiwan and Japan though. I guess it's not surprising about Japan though but I often feel I could improve the whole country's English by having a nationwide announcement made: "When you see an L, it's NOT it's an R! And when you see an R, it's NOT, it's an L!". That would do it. :P

LaoDing

If I showed this list in class, they'd scream BUT TAIWAN AND HONG KONG ARE CHINA!!!

In realpoltik that would be correct, but...try explaining that one calmly...

NinjaTurtle
11 hours ago, LaoDing said:

If I showed this list in class...

Then don't bring it up. And don't let students bring it up. I do not allow political discussions in my class. Whenever a student brings up a political topic or asks a political question, I look them squarely in the eye and say, "I do not have political discussions with Chinese people." But to be fair, it seems my students tend to avoid political discussions in class.

Lu
12 hours ago, LaoDing said:

Huh, I thought realpolitik means dealing with the situation as it is instead of how it ideally would be. Tibet is a part of China even though many people think it shouldn't be. Taiwan is not a part of China even though many people think it should be.

I'm not surprised Russia is low on the list. As far as I've seen, and heard from Russian friends, most (almost all) Russians don't know any English at all. Although one would think that people who seek out an internet test know at least a little bit of English.

And again, since this is tests only a self-selected group of people who went and took an internet test, the numbers are not all that meaningful. Chinese people don't speak English as well as Swedes do - I don't think we needed a newspaper article to point that out.

陳德聰

We should expect to see countries where languages with a small linguistic distance from English are spoken to float to the top and those more distant from English to settle further down the list, so the only thing surprising to me about this list are the placements of Brazil and South Korea.

DavyJonesLocker
On 11/14/2018 at 9:24 AM, XiaoXi said:

China did better than Taiwan and Japan though. I guess it's not surprising about Japan though

Really? I though Japan would be a lot higher than China. I'm in Japan at the moment. I've been here a few times and they generally seem to have better English than Chinese. That's in average middle class areas not the tourist areas 

However that's just my limited interaction .... so basically worth  nothing 

XiaoXi
On 11/15/2018 at 8:51 AM, DavyJonesLocker said:

Really? I though Japan would be a lot higher than China. I'm in Japan at the moment. I've been here a few times and they generally seem to have better English than Chinese.

That's not surprising, I don't think Chinese is as popular as English in Japan. But like I said with the LR thing, or even the VB thing, if pronunciation enters into it at all, they're gonna have a tough time beating anyone lol.

On 11/14/2018 at 1:22 PM, LaoDing said:

If I showed this list in class, they'd scream BUT TAIWAN AND HONG KONG ARE CHINA!!!

Haha the next time someone from the mainland claims they're part of China, ask them to GO THERE. "Come along with me to Hong Kong and we'll have a laugh for a month or two....oh what's that you need a visa to enter a town in your own country? You can only stay for two weeks even WITH a visa?? Hong Kong used to be 'part of' Britain so I can stay there for 6 months with no visa...doesn't quite seem to be the same for you." :P

LaoDing
33 minutes ago, XiaoXi said:

Haha the next time someone from the mainland claims they're part of China, ask them to GO THERE. "Come along with me to Hong Kong and we'll have a laugh for a month or two....oh what's that you need a visa to enter a town in your own country? You can only stay for two weeks even WITH a visa?? Hong Kong used to be 'part of' Britain so I can stay there for 6 months with no visa...doesn't quite seem to be the same for you." 

Ha ha  yes, that is true. But hard to talk to a total stranger who suddenly yells at you on the street or on the bus (both have happened to me and I wasn't EVEN talking about sovereignty!). It's propaganda of the worst sort and a rallying cry for the war which we all pray will never happen. I mean, how else to explain it?

And all this bickering over tiny islands and even destroying fragile marine ecosystems just for the sake of chest thumping? Pretty dangerous game...

LaoDing
On 11/15/2018 at 1:28 AM, Lu said:

Huh, I thought realpolitik means dealing with the situation as it is instead of how it ideally would be. Tibet is a part of China even though many people think it shouldn't be. Taiwan is not a part of China even though many people think it should be. 

Quite right. And reality, as it is, is that both governments claim to represent and head the state of China- all of China. The claim has never been resolved and Taiwan, of course, has never declared independence as a sovereign nation separate from the PRC.

For US/PRC relations, refer to the Shanghai Communique of 1972. Taiwan is clearly acknowledged to be an 'internal matter' for China. Since the end of WWII, it always has been kind of, sort of, like a 38th parallel that's never talked about. So the official Taiwanese position is still (popular or not) that Taiwan is that not only is a part of China, but it's true government. Those are realities in official state policy, in treaties, and in the U.N.- in practice, of course, Taiwan acts as an independent state-economic entity.

NinjaTurtle

Check your English ability with 'notorious' Korean college entrance exam

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/11/177_258803.html

"The English test of Korea's College Scholastic Aptitude Test (CSAT) is notoriously difficult ― so much so that many native English speakers (well-educated adults) have called it a "CRAZY" test after looking through some of the texts and questions put on test takers' desks.

"This year's test, conducted on Thursday, is said to be "tougher to answer" compared with previous years.

"Here are sample texts and questions from the 2018 CSAT English test.

"Check your English ability with them ― and imagine how hard it is to live in Korea as high school students studying for the CSAT.

"Don't cheat!

"(You can download all texts, questions and answers here [link])

"PS: Test takers were given 45 questions that needed to be answered in 70 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Q21. What does "refining ignorance" mean?"

(cont.)