Jump to content
Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

  • Why you should look around

    Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

    Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Matheus Salgado

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2019

Lu

Dear scholarship applicants,

 

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

 

Take a look around!

 

Lu

Message added by Lu

Recommended Posts

Tuxon
2 hours ago, EmperorTomatoKetchup said:

the only thing I can tell you is what my CI told me: some universities accept the screenshot. I sent emails to several universities, asking them if they accept a screenshot. some said yes, some no, some never replied. I chose my university accordingly (I wanted to go to Zhejiang Normal first but they said no). I have no idea if Hanban might decline you even though the university accepted the screenshot. All those decisions and changes in regulaitons (official or not), seem quite arbitrary so there's no definitve answer it seems.

 

On another note: I got accepted by Sichuan University, luckily they said on their website that you can apply for thr 700RMB if you want to live off-campus. But does anyone know if the universities pay for your flight as well? The other problem is that I can only book one year in advance, so I don't know whether I should only book my outbound flight or book the return flight as well and change it later. Will anyone ask for a return ticket at some point?

 

About the plane ticket I think it depends on each university, but scholarships of 1 year or more they should book a plane ticket for you (They should isnt always as they will do). I applied to Jilin University and they told me they will pay the plane ticket. Send a mail to the university to be sure if they do, i guess that after reaching Stage 5 they will send the acceptance letter and plane ticket to make the student Visa. (Well, first they will contact us to check the dates and that)

For living off-campus i think in all universities its the same, or at least in the universities webpages, but im not sure (as the plane tickets) if they will give the money.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Janghyeok

Last time I posted here I was on Stage 4 and since then I've went back to Stage 1 a couple of times because Hanban had some issues with my application (not my university, my university told me everything was fine on their side and my application was complete), like they said I was missing some documents, that the emergency contact in China was not correct etc. but each time I fixed the mistakes and now I'm at stage 4 again, I hope nothing bad will happen now as the deadline is on May 20th so there's no way to correct the application after that. But I just have a feeling that for some reason Hanban really doesn't want me in China :P

How's everyone else doing? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EmperorTomatoKetchup
2 hours ago, Tuxon said:

About the plane ticket I think it depends on each university, but scholarships of 1 year or more they should book a plane ticket for you (They should isnt always as they will do). I applied to Jilin University and they told me they will pay the plane ticket. Send a mail to the university to be sure if they do, i guess that after reaching Stage 5 they will send the acceptance letter and plane ticket to make the student Visa. (Well, first they will contact us to check the dates and that) 

For living off-campus i think in all universities its the same, or at least in the universities webpages, but im not sure (as the plane tickets) if they will give the money. 

 

The general guideline says that you can get 700RMB if you live off-campus. Sichuan University (my 1st choice) has this written on their CI scholarship info website, but Yunnan Normal (my 2nd choice) doesn't, so it is up to each university at the end, as with most things. About the plane ticket: there's nothing about that in the guidelines so I guess it depends whether the university wants to pay it or not.

 

I'm on stage 4 now, no idea if Hanban will find something problematic about my documents, like the previous poster said, too late now to change anything. Good luck everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tuxon
21 minutes ago, Janghyeok said:

Last time I posted here I was on Stage 4 and since then I've went back to Stage 1 a couple of times because Hanban had some issues with my application (not my university, my university told me everything was fine on their side and my application was complete), like they said I was missing some documents, that the emergency contact in China was not correct etc. but each time I fixed the mistakes and now I'm at stage 4 again, I hope nothing bad will happen now as the deadline is on May 20th so there's no way to correct the application after that. But I just have a feeling that for some reason Hanban really doesn't want me in China :P

How's everyone else doing? 

 

I think its the opposite, and reading that Hanban is looking into your application and sending you back to fix whats missing, it means that they still want you there. If not they could just hold till May 20 and May 21 give you a rejection telling your information was badly uploaded!

 

1 minute ago, EmperorTomatoKetchup said:

The general guideline says that you can get 700RMB if you live off-campus. Sichuan University (my 1st choice) has this written on their CI scholarship info website, but Yunnan Normal (my 2nd choice) doesn't, so it is up to each university at the end, as with most things. About the plane ticket: there's nothing about that in the guidelines so I guess it depends whether the university wants to pay it or not.

 

I'm on stage 4 now, no idea if Hanban will find something problematic about my documents, like the previous poster said, too late now to change anything. Good luck everyone.

 

You should ask! Some of my country colleagues that are going to other universities (in Xian and Shanghai) they have been told that the university will cover the plane ticket, so just mail your uni, or wait for hanban decision and then get in touch with them, asking how to proceed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Defia
5 hours ago, EmperorTomatoKetchup said:

screenshot. some said yes, some no, some never

Do you think it's best to send hanban a message  or something at least make them aware even though they will obviously

 At least hear what they'll say. 

 

 

About the plane tickets : All of us here ( in Ghana) know with CI scholarship , you have to take care of your ticket and any other expenses associated with it no matter the school you choose. At least that's something we know so it's at the back of everyone's mind. But like you guys are saying , it may depend on the school I guess. 

  • Good question! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kitty734782786357

Hi everyone i also applied for the CIS to Beijing normal university. i submitted my cis application on the website using screenshots of my hsk and hskk results (as instructed by my recommending institute) as my certificates did not arrive in time, as far as i know everyone from my uni also done this as they were also in the same predicament as i. when i did receive my results i photocopied a copy and sent it to Beijing normal university. so far i am at step 4 and got here in the span of 15 days (i applied 1st may) i haven't had any bounce backs or horror story issues everyone is talking about.

 

However i am concerned about this 'first-come-first serve policy' i applied pretty late not my fault blame my uni and so i got that pop up about how admission is low for one year scholarships. does this mean that to get the 1 year scholarship it is going to be VERY competitive based on how high your results are etc in which case i am totally fine with. or does it mean that there are no more spaces and everyone who applied after the limit was reached are just not going to get the scholarship and be rejected.

 

my recommending institute tells me there isn't a first come policy but it seems like there is based on what happened last year (everyone got high scores but applied late so only got 1 semester scholarship). but this wouldn't make sense. why would they keep the portal open and allow you to still apply if they are just gonna reject you in the end?  it says on their website that they will discus and evaluate everyone's application but they aren't really going to do that if they aren't going to consider people who applied later but within the deadline that they set.

 

i am super confused about this unwritten policy they seem to have and would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this policy whether its true or not. anything information would help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lahore
Quote
On 5/17/2019 at 1:18 AM, pnrelfgmc said:

 We usually get interviewed face to face on wechat and if i am not wrong, some students who applied 厦门大学 had to take an exam before they actually get approval. In the exam they asked about economy of china, news, some companies related to china and its culture. I think it was just to see how much they now about china. 

Do they interview in Chinese or English? I have applied on HSK3 basis and currently I am on stage 4.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pnrelfgmc

They start with english, then continue with chinese, major questions are asked chinese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstridB

How long are your motivational essays? I'm afraid mine is a bit too short. And I'm curious, what did you write about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pnrelfgmc
14 minutes ago, AstridB said:

How long are your motivational essays? I'm afraid mine is a bit too short. And I'm curious, what did you write about?

motivational essays? What is that? Does everyone need to write one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstridB
On 5/17/2019 at 4:59 PM, Defia said:

We applied using a screenshot of the online score report. ( read some school's site which suggested we can use screenshots too)

How do your screenshots look? I mean, what did you screenshot? Only the scores or the entire page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tuxon
34 minutes ago, AstridB said:

How long are your motivational essays? I'm afraid mine is a bit too short. And I'm curious, what did you write about?

 

I think max is 800 hanzi, mine was near 700 and i wrote about my past experience in jilin university, i went last year 1 month with CI, i hope isnt a problem for applying again, i have been told it isnt -i went with tourist visa-. Anyways, i told it was a wonderful experience and i wanted to go back there but this time for a full year, how was learning chinese in their university and knowing a little big about some chinese cities i visited, their people, food, etc... I also wrote a little bit about me, how i started studying chinese, why i did, and what i do expect about my studies.

 

I guess as others told before, if we are all in Stage 4 is because our paperwork is fine. I know some people they have been rejected in Stage 4 because they didnt had all the requirements (I guess same thing as Hanban could reject someone), so i dont really know whats the extra review from Hanban about. What i think its maybe they will check the spaces in each university and decide within their quotas, if all of them can apply, or they need to reject some people, because if a uni has room for 40 students, they cant allow 50. (Just throwing random numbers)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Defia
1 hour ago, AstridB said:
1 hour ago, AstridB said:

How do your screenshots look? I mean, what did you screenshot? Only the scores or the entire page?

Yes. The entire page 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
claaaau
On 5/17/2019 at 3:15 AM, EmperorTomatoKetchup said:

but you are referring to anyone who has been in China as a student, right? Cause there must be many people who just traveled on a tourist visa (like me).

 tbh I don't know 😕 but it would make sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ltz1992

well today is 20th of May already, hope everything's going to be well for all of us!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tuxon
13 hours ago, claaaau said:

tbh I don't know 😕 but it would make sense

 

Why? I thought they would only check on those who had a X1 or X2 student visa before (And idk if thats the case for every scholarship, only for 6 months one, and in here i think we are all in 1 year scholarship)

 

Yesss, today is 20, i hope all of us who are in Stage 4 can reach to Stage 5. Good luck to everyone!!! ♥

In the application it says after deadline till 3 months before student enrollment, so i guess we should have notice from now till mid June.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ana_hwang

Today is the closing date of the application. I wish you guys all the best!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thatie

Best of luck to you guys. It's been a journey getting to stage 4. Now the wait begins. & Thanks to all those who contributed with their valuable information.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giorgio

How much time will the answer to the stage 5 take to come? Have you got any ideas? It had to arrive in a few weeks, but I’m not sure about that.

and what about the interview? Does everybody received the email about the interview? Is it compulsory for the final stage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Defia
7 hours ago, Giorgio said:

How much time will the answer to the stage 5 take to come? Have you got any ideas? It had to arrive in a few weeks, but I’m not sure about that.

and what about the interview? Does everybody received the email about the interview? Is it compulsory for the final stage?

I learnt from my local CI it will be out on the 15th of June. But I'm guessing anytime from  the beginning of June till the 15th,  it's likely to be out. 

 

Which interview are you talking about Please? As far as I'm concerned interview is only done when the school wants to pre-admit you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...